Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Light Activation Robbery

Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Whose the judge of how long something takes? The customer? Yeah, right. When I worked for GM in the late eighties and the nineties, I could put a water pump on an IROK Camaro in about 20 minutes. That job paid 2.5 hours under customer pay if I remember correctly. So, are you saying that mechanics should be punished just because they know how to do something in less time than what the labor book calls for? Help me understand your position. So far, it ain't makin sense.
Not saying that at all. If someone gets so efficient at a job that they do it in half the time then good for them and they should get paid for there work. I am talking about the initial up charge that is made for the job. I have called around and found a dealership that quoted me half an hour of work, or $50 to activate the lights. That tells me the others are charging too much to begin with.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinGT
Not saying that at all. If someone gets so efficient at a job that they do it in half the time then good for them and they should get paid for there work. I am talking about the initial up charge that is made for the job. I have called around and found a dealership that quoted me half an hour of work, or $50 to activate the lights. That tells me the others are charging too much to begin with.
.....OR it COULD say that the other dealer is cutting you a deal. I'm tellin you, the industry standard is an hour. If you get quoted less, that's the dealer's personal choice. Not all of them use the industry standard......but some of them use it far too much.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GOOVERIT
Have any of you any idea how much it cost to keep a business open?
I'm not trying to justify the cost. It's just i have a mower shop and i have lost money the pass two years trying to be the low cost guy.
Sorry for my bitch.
Ya, but $150 for 5 min of work?? My dealer tried to charge me $100 to flash the computer for a my gig. I even brought them the TSB on with the instructions. Plug in the star scan, push like 5 buttons and done...

If I didnt have to bitch to the owner of the dealer to get them to take care of it I *might take it back to them for service, but why should I do that now? They tried to rip me off for a 5 min computer flash, what the hell will they do to me for breaks or something?? And this was all about a week after I spent $30K on my Jeep there...

My satisfaction from the sale and everything was good, but after dealing with the service manager I would never step foot in there again...take care of your customers and they will come back...try to f$%K them and they wont...

BTW...it was Johnson Dodge and Jeep in Budd Lake, NJ...

Go to Rockaway instead

Last edited by jmat1980; 10-29-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Most dealerships have a minimum charge of one hour's labor. One hour of labor is around a hundred bucks, and in some areas more. Mechanics work on vehicles for their living......not to do somebody favors all the time. When you pay a professional to do something, you're paying for their knowledge of how to program the PCM. Can you do it? Do you have the equipment? I agree that 150 is a little high, but you shouldn't expect to get out for next to nothing. Why would that be fair?
Umm...how about the actual time...

If it takes 5 min, dont charge for an hour...That is fair Otherwise I dont want them working on anyone elses jeep for the remainder of that hour that I paid them for...
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
JK Super Freak

i think some people are missing the point. a good mechanic that can do a job that takes the average mechanic (labor book) in half the time, should get paid for the labor book quoted time. that is how they will make the extra money that they deserve for being a good mechanic vs an average. if you take your jeep to an average mechanic, you are still going to get only the flash for fogs, and it will take an hour. you will have to either wait there for an hour, or leave and come back (burning gas, spending $$). a good mechanic will get you in and out in 5 minutes. to me, time is sometimes worth more than saving a few bucks.

with that said... there should be limits placed on certain things. if a job takes someone 10 minutes, and it is a standard procedure that is completely computerized, there is really no way to have a good vs average. there is no trick of the trade that will speed the process up, therefore anything less than a half hour should be charged a flat out half hour labor charge.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
i think some people are missing the point. a good mechanic that can do a job that takes the average mechanic (labor book) in half the time, should get paid for the labor book quoted time. that is how they will make the extra money that they deserve for being a good mechanic vs an average. if you take your jeep to an average mechanic, you are still going to get only the flash for fogs, and it will take an hour. you will have to either wait there for an hour, or leave and come back (burning gas, spending $$). a good mechanic will get you in and out in 5 minutes. to me, time is sometimes worth more than saving a few bucks.

with that said... there should be limits placed on certain things. if a job takes someone 10 minutes, and it is a standard procedure that is completely computerized, there is really no way to have a good vs average. there is no trick of the trade that will speed the process up, therefore anything less than a half hour should be charged a flat out half hour labor charge.
Well said.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i frist posted a reply i was not trying to start something. I was just saying that when you look at the whole picture as to all people that have a hand in this repair/service, there is service writers / shop managers / janitors , ect.
I know that my dealer will wash and vac the jeep when they are finished.
Just saying that the min. Service charge will be needed to pay the help.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree on mechanics work. But when an electronic system is intentionally crippled to require dealer intervention, that is a whole other matter. There is a difference between a mechanic's skill, and "programming" a car to recognize fog lights or a backup camera.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

I think I found a new dealer to take mine to. It is a little out of the way but they were far more helpful and charged a fair price to get my lights activated...1/2 hour of work totaling $49.50.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Bullshit $150. Half hour of service at most. They shouldn't charge you more than $50, and if the guy isn't a jerk, they should do it for free.
Originally Posted by AustinGT
I think I found a new dealer to take mine to. It is a little out of the way but they were far more helpful and charged a fair price to get my lights activated...1/2 hour of work totaling $49.50.
Called it.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Activation Robbery