Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Light Bumper Question

Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light Bumper Question

Please help a JK noob! I'm thinking of putting a stock front bumper with fog lights on a JK that currently doesn't have fog lights. My question is this: Can I just buy the lights and switch and just plug it in? Is most of the wire harness already there? Does my metal bumper underneath the plastic cover have the fog light holes to mount them to even though the bumper currently doesn't have lights? Sorry about all the questions, but I have a line on a bumper cover with fog light holes really cheap and have no idea whats going to be involved.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by JKBill; 05-06-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no idea. One of the guys around here can hook you up I am sure.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, if you didn't already have the foglights you'll have to buy the harness and switch if you want the factory setup....might be easier and cheaper to just wire them up manually and use your own switch.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute here brother. By the looks of your sig, you've got almost enough mods on both Jeeps to rule the world.
First off, are you looking for fogs or are you looking for driving lights, because here in Pa, as you know we have the annual inspections, and part of the inspection is the lighting. In addition to all lights must work, they must function properly. That is, fogs must be hooked up so that they only work with the low beams. Driving lights can only work with high beams. With that in mind, since you do not have the factory fogs, you do not have the stalk for the fogs. With that in mind, you must splice into your low beam circuit for the fogs you want to install. My advice would be to first off get a good kit that includes the wiring harness and relay, or find suitable wire to support the switch and wire that will support the lights, and a good relay. Find a suitable mounting place for your switch and relay, then go from there. The switch will power your relay coil via the low beam circuit. The lights will be powered from the battery through an inline fuse and the contacts of the relay.
Now on the other hand since you're in line for a new stock bumper with fogs installed, why not just go to the dealer and have them install a factory fog stalk and harness to the bumper after you install the bumper. I don't know what the cost will be, however I do know, if you can afford, that would e the best set-up.

Last edited by Lorrel; 05-06-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Wait a minute here brother. By the looks of your sig, you've got almost enough mods on both Jeeps to rule the world.
LOL! I only know XJ's... I was forced into the JK world because they stopped making Cherokee's when they started making Liberty's .
I must say though, I REALLY like the 4 door JK ALOT and think it's a great replacement for the XJ. Especially since it's a little bigger and alot easier to take the top off.

Ok, you guys have definately answered my question about the wiring. I'll just get a harness and switch.
How about the bumper? Are the holes and/or mounts in my stock bumper for the lights there even though the holes aren't in the cover? Like the tow hooks. You can mount them up, but you have to cut out the top of the bumper cover.

Last edited by JKBill; 05-06-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
leo
JK Newbie

Default Yes there are holes under them bumpers

I just removed my stock JK front bumper with no factory fog light holes and discovered that the metal mounting bumper underneath the plastic does have holes for mounting fog lamps.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Cool. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default The Stock Bumper

does not have the moulded bosses that would be cut out for the fogs, and yes the wiring harness is not just a plug-in, you will really need to wire them from scratch and put in a switch. You'd be better off getting aftermarket lights, or if you insist on factory fogs, at least get a sahara bumper because it has the mould for the lights at least, then you still gotta do the wiring and switch....sorry no plun-in and go.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...r.ashx?id=2141

instructions for installing fog harness aftermarket...

Last edited by michelle@az; 05-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah.... I think I'll come off the low beams with a relay (and override switch) that turns them on and off. That way they are on with the low beams and off with the high beams. Or I can just turn them off all together.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Bumper Question