Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

found a pass-thru on the firewall

Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a pass-thru on the firewall

dont know if it was posted or not...

i know i saw somewhere that a couple people were having a hard time finding a pass-thru or gromet in the firewall.

Next to the brake booster, between it and the fender, I found one. No grommet, just a hole covered up by the Dynamat-like insulation. I poked a hole through it with an ink pen. Easy to see. Easy to reach.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b1pig
dont know if it was posted or not...

i know i saw somewhere that a couple people were having a hard time finding a pass-thru or gromet in the firewall.

Next to the brake booster, between it and the fender, I found one. No grommet, just a hole covered up by the Dynamat-like insulation. I poked a hole through it with an ink pen. Easy to see. Easy to reach.
Picture would help alot! Also, I found one on the passenger side as well. It's located right below where the battery is...you'll see a plastic in middle of the foil from under the hood and then if you look from inside the passenger side, right under the dash, you'll see that plastic coming in...I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Also, do you have auto or manual?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmm...
good point. I've been doin ZJs for so long, I havent even considered the tranny....

i got an auto, so the hole is probably for the clutch.
It's actually pretty easy to see. In the aluminum subframe between the brake booster and firewall, there is a round hole about 1.75" (or so) in diameter... Foil on outside, tar-paper like surface on inside.

the only thing i was able to find on the passenger side between balls of dried mud falling into my eyes, was the main wiring harness and it's grommet under the battery. The last few I have messed with were double-walled, so I left it alone.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Here's the hole location for the mechanically challenged. It is the hole for the clutch master cylinder if you have the manual. I took this picture back in November when I was wiring up my remote radar detector. I still haven't sealed the hole yet so I hope I do before fording any streams this summer.....

Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats the one.

nice clean engine bay... mine is stained with mud. Not NEARLY as shiny... so the hole was a tougher find for me. I was happy.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jocrazy0
Here's the hole location for the mechanically challenged. It is the hole for the clutch master cylinder if you have the manual. I took this picture back in November when I was wiring up my remote radar detector. I still haven't sealed the hole yet so I hope I do before fording any streams this summer.....

I'll add this to the FAQ. What do you use to reseal it once you've punched through?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used the same hole on mine since I have an automatic. The hole was big enough for two 3/8" flex tubing and one 1/2" flex tubing. I am using the two 3/8" tubing for wires I have installed and the 1/2" one is a "spare" short piece to fill up the hole.

I sealed the "hole" back up with a whole bunch of black silicone sealer. I forced it around and between the pieces of tubing and onto the firewall on both sides. Kinda like a formed in place grommet. I pretty certain it's completely sealed.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

That should make it eaiser..
Old 04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh CRAP! my camera is gone for the whole week...my parents left for Eurpoe and took it w/ them....or else I'd show you guys the pic I was talking about for Manual Tranny JKs....It's right there, I can't believe I didn't see it before!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I'll add this to the FAQ. What do you use to reseal it once you've punched through?
silly-cone.
lots and lots of it.

i have a couple tubes of black in the shop, so I will have mine taken care of soon enough.

Quick Reply: found a pass-thru on the firewall