Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

front speaker popping ?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front speaker popping ?

i am having some trouble with my front lower dash speaker popping when i drive and hit bumps. i originally thought it was the side of the dash hitting against the metal frame but put some homemade deadening on there and still heard the popping. so the other night i just turned off the radio and voila! no popping.

my question is, does this happen to anyone else? i vaguely remember seeing a tsb about speaker stuff but i am not sure i am correct. any help is greatly appreciated.

i have an 07 x 2 door. if that makes a difference.

thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

nobody at all having this trouble?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had that exact thing happen...but with SOME songs my speakers can't handle the bass etc. and will pop or crack a little.
With this happening only when you go over bumps, I can't figure that out...maybe the speaker cover or something coming loose!?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a TSB for popping speakers. I took mine into the dealer and they upgraded the amp firmware and now my speakers are clean and clear.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

i looked at the tsb and it said it was for 2008 wranglers. i have a 2007. i bought it used about 2 months ago and i have been looking through the speaker grilles and the speaker is red like a sony speaker. so maybe the previous owner put in different speakers and the wires are not connecting very well. i will have to take a closer look when i have a little bit of time. probably sometime around 2010
Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

how do i get access to the front speaker? is it as easy as popping off the side and getting to the speaker?
thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

When i tried replacing my front speakers - no its not as easy as popping the cover off.

You have to take all the surrounding plastic off, remove the gauge cluster to get to one piece, and then fight the speaker enslosure to get it out.
I took off as little plastic as possible and it was no fun to get the speaker out.
There is a write up somewhere here on replacing the front speakers, that will lay it out for you.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Default figured it out!!

well i figured out why it was making that popping noise. the owner before put aftermarket speakers in it but they arent the right size.. so the genius just put in the top 2 screws and left the bottom to flap whenever i hit bumps.. wow is the only thing i can say.. luckily christmas is coming so i am getting the proper size speaker for the front.. hopefully it will sound better than the radioshack crappy speaker the guy before me put in..

thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had a prob with popping on the passanger side. thought the speaker kept blowing out cause it would work then go out and come back, i replaced that speaker 6 diff times. screw the dealer cause they said i replaced the speaker with a stock speaker i voided the warrenty cause im not certified mopar installer, but anyways i repacled the head unit and that was what the prob was, and that was also at dealers fault, cause they fixed my head unit then they called me and said they have to send the steiro in to have it fixed, well i got it back and it was broke, so my solution was replacing the head unit.

Quick Reply: front speaker popping ?