Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Grounding Cig Lighter ports & Head unit ?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding Cig Lighter ports & Head unit ?

I was wondering if anyone has info on grounding these two pieces, I tried to search but came up empty handed.

when I charge my iPhone, and play something on it through AUX I get a horrible buzzing noise. Hoping to ground it and make it go away.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by landoJEEP
I was wondering if anyone has info on grounding these two pieces, I tried to search but came up empty handed.

when I charge my iPhone, and play something on it through AUX I get a horrible buzzing noise. Hoping to ground it and make it go away.
Which radio do you have?

What charger are you using?

I have had my iPhone 3GS and an iPod Classic, connected through the Aux Jack of the MyGig RER radio while charging them and haven't had any buzzes.

It very well could be the charger you're using.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

you're probably right :(

They're belkin flush mount usb chargers. not sure of the model. I do not have the my gig though.

I think I have a few other chargers I'll try them and see if I have the same issue.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

They're belkin flush mount usb chargers. not sure of the model. I do not have the my gig though.

I think I have a few other chargers I'll try them and see if I have the same issue.
The one I'm using is a Belkin also. Maybe the difference in radios? Still good to try other chargers. If none of that works.....the sure fire way to get rid of the buzz is to plug a small DC to AC inverter into the Cig lighter. Then use one of the AC charging iPod adapters.

When you use the DC to AC inverter, those normally have some kind of transformer in it, where the transformer will isolate the grounds and should then eliminate the buzz. I know it's not ideal, but it could be easier than trying to come up with a grounding solution that works.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got the belkin flush mount too and no buzzing. Although the USB it came with sucks.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a feeling grounding it and the head unit to the same point would solve the issue, anyone know where the factory (non mygig) head unit grounds to?

I also have swapped cables. issue persists. haven't found my old charger to test yet but will post results if i dig it up.

very annoying buzz.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a feeling grounding it and the head unit to the same point would solve the issue, anyone know where the factory (non mygig) head unit grounds to?

I also have swapped cables. issue persists. haven't found my old charger to test yet but will post results if i dig it up.

very annoying buzz.
So the "buzz" only happens when plugged in and charging? If so, have you tried an isolator (those magnet looking rings or tubes you loop cable through)?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't, but that would be a pretty easy fix.

headed to fry's today to take some stuff back, guess I'll pick one up.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I resolved this issue. turns out.. when I took my Jeep to LineX they didn't tighten the bolt for the ground for the power outlets and A/C controls. racked my brain trying to figure this out.. here's a pic. the bolt on the left has something to do with the factory alarm. the one on the right was the one causing my problems.

Quick Reply: Grounding Cig Lighter ports & Head unit ?