Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ham Radio

Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My call sign made it in to the ULS database today kd0dki

Now if I can't remember that!

This weekend there's a hamfest not far from home
http://www.k0ltc.org

The local radio shop http://www.radioinc.com/ is giving away a new radio it's a
Kenwood TM V71A
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communicat...obiles/TM-V71A

That is the exact radio I had in mind funny how things work out, now if I can only win it!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't slam me to hard for this question, but what is the purpose or advantage of ham over a cb? Can a ham operate on the same frequencies as a cb or do you guys have both?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Please don't slam me to hard for this question, but what is the purpose or advantage of ham over a cb? Can a ham operate on the same frequencies as a cb or do you guys have both?
Ham radio will provide you with better range and you can use repeaters to gain even better range. Plus some repeaters allow you to make regular phone calls. Stuck way out in the woods...use your radio to call your buddy on his house phone to come rescue....or call the tow truck to get you out of the mud. Less people goofing off on Ham radio (in fact I have never heard people goofing off). However the radio on the trail does you no good if you are the only one with a ham radio.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Congrats:

Let me add my congrats. Ham will be a giant step for you in regards to fun as well as emergency comunications. Get a repeater directory and program your radio to all the repeaters that you can hit where ever you go. There is always someone who will be monitoring one of the repeaters and with your GPS co-ordinates they can contact emergency personel for you. Ham operaters are a great bunch of people and are always willing to help out. Ive found that more and more offroaders are getting into Ham as they realize the benefits in range and now that the no-code finally went thru a lot of people who didn't want to go thru the licensing process are getting into it. I'm often 50 to 100 miles away from anything and Ham gives me the comfort of knowing that if I'm in serious trouble I can get a ranger or a lifeflight. You owe it to yourself and your family to go out as prepared as you can. I carry a CB as well and while I'm probably the exception to the rule, most of the people I run with have Ham rigs. Spread the word!!. By the way, Hams love helping newbes. Find an active repeater group in your area and get on the radio. Fess up that you're new and you'll find a world of help out there to begin seriously enjoying it.

Bruce K
K6BJK

Last edited by Bruce K; 03-22-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Congrats on getting your ticket....

Mike..KC2OVA
Old 03-23-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrads

AA5D
Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about going the HAM route myself. What is involved in doing this ?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Cograts man!

Brian WX3N
Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Congrats on the Ticket

Congrats on your ham ticket.

73's

Kf4wum
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, lots of hams on here. Congrats on the new ticket!

russ
n4rwe

Quick Reply: Ham Radio