Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help me wire my sons jeep/truck bed for head lights and tail lights.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me wire my sons jeep/truck bed for head lights and tail lights.

This isn't really Jeep related but it's helping my son get that itch early on
I thought I'd try here first since there seems to be a lot of electrical know-how.
My father-in-law and I are repainting a bed I used when I was a kid. I'd like to add working lights to it.
Something like this for tail lights and something similar for head lights.

4" Submersible LED Stop/Turn Trailer Tail Light

Maybe even some LED ground lights. Head lights and tail lights on one switch and ground lights on another. I'd like to run it off of outlet power. Or from batteries if you think that would work or be better. I'm open to suggestions.

What kind of adapters would I need? Fuses etc so I don't start a fire. I'm pretty good with wiring up car stereo, jeep lighting, putting in ceiling fans and lights. Just never tried something like this.

this is the bed. Yep that's me!
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	557383
Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

If I understand your project correctly, you're looking to add lights and switches to the bed that can be safely operated by your son. For starters, you'll need a power supply.

12VDC MEAN WELL LED Power Supply - APV series | Enclosed Power Supplies | LED Power Supplies | Installation/Power Supplies/Misc | Super Bright LEDs

Without knowing the full extent of the lights, it's hard to know how big of a power supply you'll need. I would think 35 watts would suffice though. Then of course you'll want to add some switches...or maybe you want just one switch to turn on all of the lights? In any event, the positive lead from the 12 volt power supply gets switched and the negative (common) wires all get tied together.

Is that kind of what you were thinking?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I've been away so long. Got tied up with some other things.

Yes that's exactly what I'd like to do. One switch, maybe two for headlights/tail lights and maybe an "interior" light.

Quick Reply: Help me wire my sons jeep/truck bed for head lights and tail lights.