Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help Needed - Mygig Dead

Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help Needed - Mygig Dead

Yesterday I was installing the lockpick and mic on my new JK Sahara unlimited,
before I screwed everything back together I tested it, lockpick was functioning, microphone was not.
After further unsuccessful testing I unplugged the microphone.
After a few minutes I notice Mygig is dead, doesn't turn on, doesn't show the time, the Jeep logo, nothing.

I disconnected the lockpick and plugged in the original cables, no luck at all.

Today it's still not functioning.... very frustrating.

If anyone has any idea on how to reset it, please help me out!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

It may sound obvious, but check the fuse. When I was working on mine, I pinched a wire when I was sliding the MyGig back into its slot in the dash, and it shorted out and blew the fuse. I didn't even know I did it -- I didn't see any sparks or anything. Took me awhile to figure out what happened.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default fuse

you might be right - but how do i check if the fuse is the problem?
and if it is the fuse, i guess only a mechanic can fixit, better jeep mechanic... right?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you got a blown fuse. I almost pinched mine. It is VERY easy do!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rubi76
Yesterday I was installing the lockpick and mic on my new JK Sahara unlimited,
before I screwed everything back together I tested it, lockpick was functioning, microphone was not.
After further unsuccessful testing I unplugged the microphone.
After a few minutes I notice Mygig is dead, doesn't turn on, doesn't show the time, the Jeep logo, nothing.

I disconnected the lockpick and plugged in the original cables, no luck at all.

Today it's still not functioning.... very frustrating.

If anyone has any idea on how to reset it, please help me out!
I sent you a PM, but I'll repost here for the benefit of others.

First of all, which mic are you using? The one we can't mention, or the one from Coastal for $20? Also, what version of the MyGig software are you running? The 9.703 is a problem, don't know about the 9.705. The 9.713 is fairly solid and so far hasn't crapped out. The 9.561 is also fairly bug free so you may need to revert back to that.

Secondly, are you using the multimedia cable from Coastal? If so, when you re-connected everything, you need to remove that from the equation.

Thirdly, just disconnecting the LockPick isn't enough of a reset to bring the MyGig back to life. You need to remove every single connection in the back so there are no wires at all to the MyGig. Wait about 10 minutes, then re-connect everything EXCEPT THE MULTIMEDIA CABLE. Plug the MyGig back in to the original cable it was plugged into. The MyGig should come back to life, unless it is a fuse problem. Once it does, perform a software update using something other than 9.703.

Lastly, turn everything off, including the JK, making sure to open the driver door to reset everything. Wait another 10 minutes, then reinstall the Multimedia cable.

You should be back to normal at this point.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Hi all...I did the same thing. I pinched a line which blew a fuse. Check under the hood...I believe it was a 15amp fuse which took about 10 secs to fix.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same problem with my radio. I checked the fuses and couldnt find it. Where is it located and what amp fuse?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Red face update

Thank you all for the reply.
Just to give you an update, I brought the mygig to check and it had a weird problem- I will be more specific later on.
In any event, I am downloading 9.712, then I will proceed with installing lockpick and backup camera....
Going to radio shack tomorrow

thanks,
Reuben

Quick Reply: Help Needed - Mygig Dead