Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID conversion kit problem...

Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion kit problem...

I recently purchased a xenon conversion kit,which came without any instructions. I was a bit concerned, but from the posts I've read, it should be a simple "plug and play" proceedure.
The premise is that the xenon's are for low-beam, and the hi-beams are a halogen bulb.
I contacted the seller and he assured me that the kit was plug and play, and should be pretty straight forward, and to contact him if I needed more specific instructions. Well this being late November, and the weekend, I would like to try and get this done asap.
I understand the basic concept of the setup, but there appears to be a few "loose ends" that I don't understand where to plug them into!
This being the spade connectors, that even if I could find out where to plug them into, I have concerns about them being water tight.
Has anyone run across this type of install, or know of a way to make it work without "re-wiring" ?
Now I find myself confused as to what connectors go where.
Is it possible that I got a kit without all the connectors in place, as the spade connectors look like they may attach to an adapter or missing plug end. Or perhaps my 2009 Jep Wranlger has an "odd ball" light harness?
I've got a few cell phone pics that might better explain my dilema.
Any help anyone might be able to offer would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00089.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	33500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00084.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	33501  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Those look to be your trigger wires which lead to the relay that came with your HID kit. If I remember right, those should connect to your stock headlamp harness. Again, I'm not 100% sure on this because I did mine a few months ago and I have a terrible memory Also, I think my kit came with a male socket rather than 3 loose wires (like yours) which simply plugged into the factory socket.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a definite answer for you.

Until then, can you get some better pics of your entire wiring kit that came with the HID's or maybe a brand or model# of your kit?

Once you do get it all hooked up and working make sure you always manually switch your lights on to provide full power otherwise your relay will buzz and you risk ruining your kit. Or you can buy an AEV Procal to disable your DRL's which is probably your best bet.

Last edited by MFX; 11-29-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default HID kit problem,A few more pics

I hope these pics can better clarify the situation.
Thanks for the post MFX, I figured the individual spade connectors were for the original Jeep light harness, but they don't actually fit, and seem to be very exposed to the elements.
I was of the impression that since the xenon setup was run directly from the battery, and only switched from the original light harness, that they would have enough power to run even in DRL mode. Perhaps I am wrong about that as well!
The brand is really not specified. They came from absolute hid(Toronto).
I also thought there should be a male and female 2wire connector on both ends of the relay harness, not just the end nearest the battery.
Oh well, they look cool in the box!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00085.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	33512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00086a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	33513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00087a.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	33515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00088a.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	33516  
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nothing???

So does noone know anything about these wiring harnesses?
Is there a way to remove the white plastic insert from the Jeep light harness, which would allow the spade connectors to then fit into it, or does the halogen bulb somehow seperate from it's connector and allow it to be used as the connector for my spade connectors?
And does anyone know what the colour setup is,ie:
white/grey is ???
green/black is ???
white/orange is ???
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you don't have it installed by now. Take some Clear pictures with everything plugged in. I'm guessing those are power supply to the ballast which needs to be a different heavy gauge wire. Your Stock Sockets are supplying the signal to open th relay.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately this is NOT the plug and play kit...they forgot to put the plug housing on the wires that that the pins on the ends.. But this issue can be sorted out. Take a couple clear high res pictures of the harness laid out WITHOUT it all tangled up and every plugged into the harness. (except for the Jeep of course.) then send me a PM and I will give you my email address. sent me the pics and I will label them for you. then email the labeled pictures back to you....
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default hid kit

i just recieved my kit. and it looks like the same as this one. im a little unsure on how this is going to work has anyone out there had experience with this kit?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default this was a great help

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+capacitor+mod

Quick Reply: HID conversion kit problem...