Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID Conversion - Light Pattern Issues

Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Conversion - Light Pattern Issues

Hello all. Recently, I upgraded my factory lighting with a HID conversion kit I purchased on ebay. The kit included 6000K bi-xenon lamps, which I am very pleased with. The only issue I have is with the light pattern when the head lights are on high-beam. I understand that the dimming of a bi-xenon lamp is accomplished mechanically, so it may be impossible to correct the high-beam pattern. The low-beam is perfect. It looks just like the patterns I had in the past with an Acura TL and a Lincoln Aviator (both stock HID). I couldn't be more pleased with the low beam pattern. The high-beam, however, is all over the place. I have more light in the trees overhead and on the ground within 3 feet of my jeep, than I do out on the road ahead of me. Anyone have a suggestion on how I might fix this? I know changing the focal point of the light source can impact the light pattern, but I don't know if that is the real issue here. I think the problem results from the lamp movement, displacing the light source from the center of the fixture. I've read several other threads, but couldn't find anything specific about this particular problem. I'm beginning to think now that I simply need to re-sell the HID kit and spend the big bucks on a complete aftermarket HID system.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably it: the whole mechanical concept of electrical servos actuating the bulb back and forth to create the illusion of high/low beams on the same bulb (which I have too and think is crap) output varies according to the opticals you are using. Thus, this varies from car to car. If you add to that fact that the JK stock headlights aren,t worth shit at first, it's more than normal that you get a not-so-great light distribution.

By the way, welcome to the HID headlights JK club. Do like me, don't use them and wire up a set of HID driving lights. That should fix your wagon!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never liked the output of the HID bulbs in a halogen housing.

the driving lights are you best(read cheapest) bet.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that too about the driving lights. I was also looking at some Sylvania Valeo headlight replacements. They're an aftermarket projector that some websites claim to be DOT approved. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Yep mine are off on the high as well...BUT I don't need highs now. I also have the fogs converted over to HID and that combo is really nice! I re-aimed the lights and I never get brighted. It is very important you re-aim and be curious to on coming drivers.

Did you get the bulbs that go in and out or the ones that move up and down?

In and out will give you the best pattern. The up\down ones ....well.......SUCK A$$!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

he stock housings are not designed for HID's that why you are getting light scatering

i had the same thing, then i wisened up and decided that pretty purple light wasnt as important as a whole lot of constant light coverage, thats why i went via Daniel Stern
Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd really like to see some pics of the Daniel Stern revolutionary headlight upgrade. I am a bit sceptical because of the price but still I'm open-minded.

Also, to one of the previous posters, could you post a link to where you found those projector headlights? I'm interested and the only thing I could find in terms of projectors where $700 integrated kits for Hummers that would fit into our JKs.

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really don't know if the bulbs move in and out or up and down. I'm going to do some more work on them this weekend. I will check and see.

About the Sylvania lights, I don't know if they will fit the JK or not. They are a 7" round fixture. I saw them on SUVlights.com. Phillips also makes a complete assembly, but I don't know if it fits or not either.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, after talking to some of my buddies, and reading some of the other threads on this site, I think I know what I'm going to do. I plan to buy a set of driving lights to use as my high beams. With the HID kit I purchased, only one connection to the factory wiring harness is being used to supply the kit. I'm going to try and wire the other side of the factory harness to my driving lights to toggle them on with the high beams. Anyone ever tried doing something like this before? If it works, I will have all HID lights, the driving lights will supplement the high beams, and everything will be perfect (without having to sacrifice the HID kit that I spent $100 on).
Old 07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

I did a little more work on my headlights today. I readjusted the aim which did help with the light scatter. I also took note that the bi-xenon lamps do move in and out of the socket rather than dimming through tilting. I ran into one more problem though. As I was driving tonight, the lights mysteriously went out. And yes, it was already 10:00, so I was completely in the dark. Fortunately, my fogs were bright enough to get me home, but now I am going to have to trace down another problem. My initial thought is that I must have blown a fuse, but my tail lights were still on, so that may not have been the problem. I am going to check in the morning and see what happened.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion - Light Pattern Issues