Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Hid help asap please!!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid help asap please!!

So I went to install my HID kit in my Hella 500's using the H3 bulb.....well guess what...the "new" style H3 light bulb holding clips that Hella has used don't allow the HID bulb to seat. Hella changed from the backless metal clips to these clips with a metal "back" that is too short for the HID bulb.
Anyone have this problem...can anyone offer a solution? 2hrs of wiring all for nothing....nothing....
Old 10-17-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bent the tangs on my H3 hids to hold the bulb in on my hellas. working just fine..
Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

The hold-down on my Hella's aren't the "tangs" it's a clip with a full-back on it. It completely covers the entire back of the bulb and it won't fit because the back of the HID bulb is longer than a standard H3 bulb.
Pisses me off!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

i just did all 4 of my black magics it was a PITA but I actually got rid of the clip and there now held in with screws worked out good. The other problem is that they just fit cause the back was so close. I mean just fit. I will be taking pics tonight.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks if you could post up some pics of how you did it (detailed would be awesome) it would be a great help! I also found this:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...hid-kit-hella/
I did it with a spare set of Hellas and the extra bulb (the one I didn't break) and it seems to hold it pretty good....a good wheeling session might bounce it out tho...
Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

hay vince
I am sorry but there already put back together all i did though was drill two small holes and got some screws with washers to hold them. Then drilled a hole for the grommit directly behind the bulb and it just fit. The Hellas took an H2 bulb and the fixture that held it is a rectangle so there was a big hole almost to big for the h3 but it worked.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the housing is too short for the HID bulb and the hole behind is needed to allow it to fit as well?
I guess I'll have to silicone it up to seal it really well.
I seem to have solved the problem by bending the metal tabs on the light assembly in to hold the bulb...I am going to take a dremel to the stock bulb clip to see if that will work as well.....
I am NOT wasting $75 haha. I am also not paying $300 for a set of HID aux lights.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

yes bulb back is to long so luckally the grommit is huge and gives a bit. One of my screamin lizard ballists is bad for my headlights
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Figured it out. See my install thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...35#post1393035

Quick Reply: Hid help asap please!!