Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

How to wire multiple lights to one switch

Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to wire multiple lights to one switch

I recently installed 3 sets of the Walmart Platinum Burners lights under my jeep and was wondering how I wire all 3 sets to run off of 1 switch ? Currently I have each set running to its own switch. If someone could give me a very dummed down explanation on how to do this or even a picture would be great. Thanks !
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bring all sets of lights back to one relay. Use your switch to turn off and on the relay.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Bring all sets of lights back to one relay. Use your switch to turn off and on the relay.
bad idea, the relay's and fuses are probably rated for 1 set of lights.

I'd just fire all three relay's off of one switch, in other words take the "to the relay" wire off of the two switches you don't want to keep and twist them together with the same wire on the switch you want to keep.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mjolnir

I'd just fire all three relay's off of one switch, in other words take the "to the relay" wire off of the two switches you don't want to keep and twist them together with the same wire on the switch you want to keep.

Good luck
I believe that standard relays are rated for 30 amps. Even 40 amp relays are common. I have a set of those burners from walley-world and they are 55 watts. 6 (lights ) times 55 (watts ) = 330 watts. 330 ( watts ) devided by 12 ( volts ) = 27.5 amps. Certinly you would want to run #10 awg wire from the battery to the relay. And you would need to use a 30 a fuse. But you do not need the extra relays. Unless you just want them

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-23-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wire the relays in tandem with fuses for each relay on the hot. Really not that difficult.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Just wire the relays in tandem with fuses for each relay on the hot. Really not that difficult.
The cheepie lights that I bought from walley-world did'nt come with relays. If it even came with a harnes. I scraped everything that came with my lights. Including the KC's. I built everything custom.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

three wires to one switch is pretty simple, but you will need three relays. You'll need four hot feeds, one will only need a 5 amp fuse, the other three should be rated at the capacity that each of the lights require. From the out terminal of the swithc run to each of the three relays that will trigger the lights. The other three hots to the relays, the outs from the relay to the light, then negative to the switch pole of the relay and your in buisness. The relays themselves will only draw a few amps at most. the lights however, will pull a lot and need to have their own feed each. I hope that makes sense.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by w.wood jeepster
three wires to one switch is pretty simple, but you will need three relays. You'll need four hot feeds, one will only need a 5 amp fuse, the other three should be rated at the capacity that each of the lights require. From the out terminal of the swithc run to each of the three relays that will trigger the lights. The other three hots to the relays, the outs from the relay to the light, then negative to the switch pole of the relay and your in buisness. The relays themselves will only draw a few amps at most. the lights however, will pull a lot and need to have their own feed each. I hope that makes sense.
Yes, there are many different ways to do this project. Some are hard and some are easy.
Some are right and some are wrong.

Good luck
Bottom line: IT'S YOUR JEEP. Witch way do you want to do it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

LOL... reminds me of the stories of Jeeps catching on fire and burning to the ground!

Like JK-Ford said "it's your jeep, which way do you want to do it?"
Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry, I thought you already had 3 relay's and switches installed. I was just going for the easiest/quickest solution.

Quick Reply: How to wire multiple lights to one switch