Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HYPERFLASH with load equalizers installed

Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HYPERFLASH with load equalizers installed

I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport and recently installed front led turn signals. I wasn't paying attention and grabbed a set of 20W load equalizers. My turn signals would blink normal 3-4 times the go straight into hyper flash. I ordered a set of 50W and installed them today. Now I get 7-9 normal blinks before is starts. Any ideas on what to do now to get rid of the hyper flash completely? Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Anyone know the correct wiring?

I've put in led's in the rear. And immediately got hyperflash on all 4 blinkers.

I'm going to install resistors tonight. But I don't know what wattage they will be.

I've seen 50W ones on most of the "how to's" online. But my real concern is tapping into the wrong wire(s)

I know the black is ground. But on the taillights, there are 3 wires.

Some of the "how to's" online say to tap the brake light lead, but that makes no sense. Shouldn't you tap the signal (blinker) lead?

Are there 3 wires on the front turn bulbs?

BTW- LED's are polar, so they should only ignite when installed with the correct orientation in the socket. ( + to -) (Try pivoting the bulb 180 degrees and re-insert in socket)

I don't think that is the OP's issue, but worth checking.

Found this here -- click https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...o-fast-157645/

Originally Posted by Octo
This will depend on what size of resistors you get, if you get 1/4 watt resistors then they will get very hot and they are really small, if you get 50 watt resistors, which is what I have seen recommended for this, then there is a larger space for the heat to be dissipated and they shouldn't heat up as much.

Last edited by chuckmel; 01-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used 50W 6ohm resistors from sylvania on the front and the Jw speaker tail lights came with them already installed. No hyper flash issues.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

which load equalizer are you using? Ive had no hyper flash issues on my end
Old 01-26-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckmel

Some of the "how to's" online say to tap the brake light lead, but that makes no sense. Shouldn't you tap the signal (blinker) lead?

The brake light filament and the turn signal filament are one and the same within the bulb; fed by the same wire.
It says only on that wire because the brakes and turn signals are not on as long as the tail light filament. The resistor would overheat if connected to the tail light.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I just started having this same issue. After almost two years of great performance, my left blinker started hyperflashing last week and I don't know why. I have fender led's, tail light led's and front blinker led's all with load resisters installed. Is there anyone that can advise me on how to get this fixed? I can't tell where to start my troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: HYPERFLASH with load equalizers installed