Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I Hate the daystar panel...Want to try something else..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dammit, stop that! Now i had to go back and edit my list.

Originally Posted by Riptide
I've heard that the daystar panel and a 6sp doens't work too well.

I'm going to try to make my own panels that can mount above the mirror or on the upper dash panel. The first case was a trailer break light box. $20 from a trucking company. IF I can make a nice cut to match the curve of the dash panel, it will go there. It's thick enough that I might even be able to get 2 rows of switches there... not sure yet (will have to wait for my switches to arrive) All it needs is to be cut and painted black.

Otherwise I picked up these cases from Polycase. I figure each of these can have 5-7 switches in them. One will go on the upper dash and the other above the mirror. Not as clean as either of the ones mentioned above, but the cases were $35 for both.

http://www.polycase.com/item/dc-47p.html
http://www.polycase.com/item/wp-25.html

My current & long term plans include some of the following (however I keep changing my mind, & thinking of other things I can do with the space):

1. Driving Spots
2. Driving Lights
3. Amber Driving Lights
4. ESP Kill Switch
5. Fan Kill Switch
6. Rock Lights
7. Area Lights (sides)
8. Rear Lights
9. Red Interior Lighting (easier for maps without ruining night vision)
10. Windowframe lights
11. Front Heated Seats - drivers hot
12. Front Heated Seats - drivers medium
13. Front Heated Seats - pass hot
14. Front Heated Seats - pass medium
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcticanalog
I have a daystar switch panel with 3 switches...only unfortunate thing is that when I shift into 1st or 3rd is turns off the right 2. I hate this it's so annoying. What other panels are out there that fit into the same spot? I know of the cooltech one. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks!
I also had the Daystar first but had the same issue, even after having a custom shift boot made.
I switched to the Cooltech and have been happy since:

Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran across this on another forum. It is supposed to be coming out in a few weeks.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

WOW! That would be great!

I wonder if you have to use their switches, or could use your own (with some smaller switches you could probably get 6 or 7 in there without it being too cramped)
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

That looks pretty nice, but I wonder about the electrical lines messing with the compass since they will be running right around it.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

I wondered about that too as I plan on having some switches there (either something like this, or something I'll do myself).

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I wonder how hard it would be to relocate the compass (if it's even needed - as I don't really use it)?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the looks of that!

Originally Posted by kenallwine
I ran across this on another forum. It is supposed to be coming out in a few weeks.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horwitzs
I also had the Daystar first but had the same issue, even after having a custom shift boot made.

Looks good, the shifter doesn't hit them at all? It comes with those switches pre installed right? Is it that hard to swap em out?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Riptide
I wondered about that too as I plan on having some switches there (either something like this, or something I'll do myself).

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I wonder how hard it would be to relocate the compass (if it's even needed - as I don't really use it)?
It shouldn't be that hard to relocate (in theory). It's only a 4 pin connect. As long as you spliced all the wires correctly and mounted it away from interference (on top of the glove box may work)

I wouldn't be too worried about 14-18ga 12v line interference. The compass sits on top of the MyGig + Lockpick v2 harnesses + stock harnesses and I haven't had any problems yet. It would be fun to see what electrical signals will throw it off...maybe I'll go out there and slap some 2ga live power wire on top and see what happens....tasers...hmm

Last edited by runit3; 02-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horwitzs

Don't get to happy aboout the cooltech llc switch panel, according to them they "have no planes on making anymore". Kinda a bummer cause it is what I like too.

My debate goes on as well as to where to mount my switches.

Quick Reply: I Hate the daystar panel...Want to try something else..