Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I want to install a big-ass inverter under my rear seat

Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

In addition, I have ran large pure sine wave inverters in my trucks for work. The conductors need to be properly sized. Run the negative back to the battery. If there is any chance of the inverter getting wet or damp, I would recommend not installing it in your jeep. Especially under a seat or in the interior. I am a professional, and have had a properly wired unit with proper protection catch on fire due to a failure of a component in the inverter. It wasn't a cheap one. If you must have one, choose the smallest one that will power the devices you need, be overzealous in your installation, or better yet, buy a small honda generator that you can set outside your jeep.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by briandunning
I want to install a big-ass inverter under my rear seat, like 1000-watt, for big jobs like charging drones for example, and other stuff. In the JK I've no idea where/how to run the power cables and what I should connect to. Is there an existing write-up with recommendations for this?
Where I work we do a lot of work truck install advising. It is a best practice to run a battery isolator between the alternator, starting battery and what is commonly called a "house battery", the inverter is then connected to the "house battery" with an appropriate fuse between the inverter and the "house battery". Properly sized cabling is critical as well to prevent voltage drop.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glocker21
It is a best practice to run a battery isolator between the alternator, starting battery and what is commonly called a "house battery", the inverter is then connected to the "house battery" with an appropriate fuse between the inverter and the "house battery".
Thanks for the great info. There is no aux battery, and this will only be needed when the engine is running.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by briandunning
Thanks for the great info. There is no aux battery, and this will only be needed when the engine is running.
We have lots of customers that do that in their daily drivers. It is very important to make sure that your cabling is correct to the inverter size and distance, I have spoken to three customers who reported poor performance due to improper cable size. Other than that make sure that the inverter gets proper ventilation.

Quick Reply: I want to install a big-ass inverter under my rear seat