Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing the Kuda-USA GPS mount: How do I remove panel above stereo?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the Kuda-USA GPS mount: How do I remove panel above stereo?

I can't find anyone who has done this, but I just bought the Kuda-USA mount for my GPS after LOVING the one I installed in my MINI Cooper.

Does anyone know how to remove the panel above the stereo on the dash? The directions say nothing more than "Remove Covering. Please use only plastic tools"

edit: I found instructions for another product that explains it here http://quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/88186.pdf

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 04-23-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

2 plastic tabs in the back corner, you can use a small screwdriver. Then pull panel forward.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up using a plastic scraper used for installing vinyl graphics to pry the panel off. It popped off with ease. I'd suggest not using a screwdriver or using one that has its tip covered with tape or a piece of cloth to avoid scratches.

I won't bother to post a photo since Kuda's photo looks exactly the same, but I highly recommend these mounts if you have a GPS. You won't have to reach all the way to the window to adjust it, there will be no ugly suction cup ring, and your vision through the windshield is not obscured.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
I can't find anyone who has done this, but I just bought the Kuda-USA mount for my GPS after LOVING the one I installed in my MINI Cooper.

Does anyone know how to remove the panel above the stereo on the dash? The directions say nothing more than "Remove Covering. Please use only plastic tools"

edit: I found instructions for another product that explains it here http://quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/88186.pdf
That's a pretty cool mount. I might order one to mount my ham radio in the Jeep. Looks like it has enough room to install an RJ-45 socket on the side so I can make my radio's panel easily removable too.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WARNING! dont advertise to thieves !

Beware that anything you permanently mount to hold any kind of electronic device is a sign to thieves that the device is more than likely hidden in your vehicle some where. Even the marks left on your windshield from a suction cup is a sign. I use a GPS clip that goes in a cup holder. Its about 6'' tall, Its fully adjustable to get the position just right and you can pop it out and take it inside. I don't remember what its called or the brand but I got it at Best Buy in the car stereo dept for $20.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

that is a cool mount. nice find
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
Beware that anything you permanently mount to hold any kind of electronic device is a sign to thieves that the device is more than likely hidden in your vehicle some where. Even the marks left on your windshield from a suction cup is a sign. I use a GPS clip that goes in a cup holder. Its about 6'' tall, Its fully adjustable to get the position just right and you can pop it out and take it inside. I don't remember what its called or the brand but I got it at Best Buy in the car stereo dept for $20.
It's a damn shame we even have to worry about crap like this in our country. Contrast this to Japan where one of my coworkers left his laptop on a train. About an hour after he arrived at his hotel, the front desk called him to say his laptop was waiting for him at the desk. Someone found it, tracked him down, and brought the laptop to the hotel.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerglen
It's a damn shame we even have to worry about crap like this in our country. Contrast this to Japan where one of my coworkers left his laptop on a train. About an hour after he arrived at his hotel, the front desk called him to say his laptop was waiting for him at the desk. Someone found it, tracked him down, and brought the laptop to the hotel.
This country is heavily populated with crack addicts ripping off anything they can pawn or sell to buy another rock to puff on !
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
This country is heavily populated with crack addicts ripping off anything they can pawn or sell to buy another rock to puff on !
In my area, it's meth.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, this mount is so nice that it almost looks like part of the original dash.

A crackhead will break into a car to steal pennies out of the ash-tray, so there is little you can really do to prevent a determined idiot from stealing your stuff.

Fortunately for me, I pay my insurance agent to lay awake at night worrying about such things.

Quick Reply: Installing the Kuda-USA GPS mount: How do I remove panel above stereo?