Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep caught on fire and now i have a CEL

Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep caught on fire and now i have a CEL

I went wheelin and got stuck in some really swampy stuff on top of some really dry grass/hay. Well i think the radiator sat on the grass too long cause it sparked up a fire. I managed to put it out befor it got too out of control but it did get pretty big. It was lit under the the front passenger side, there was no visible damage and the jeep runs perfectly fine.

I tried to pull the codes because theres a CEL but it shows no codes. It shwowes the 6 dashes and then it says done. The guages do not sweep either, i thought they were supposed to but i could be wrong.
Any ideas? i dont kow if its from the fire or from the water.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

ANOTHER?!

*eyes JK suspiciously*
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

this is different it seems... even the users manual says not to park over dry grass or materials when the jeeps been running a while.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, im not blaming Jeep. I got stuck and left the jeep running without even thinking about it. It was my fault, i just wanna figure out whats causing the CEL.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
ANOTHER?!

*eyes JK suspiciously*
Definitely not the same as some others.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Regardless there shouldn't be any heat source thats capable of starting a fire don't park over grass etc thats a joke. Chrysler needs to look into this ASAP.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
Regardless there shouldn't be any heat source thats capable of starting a fire don't park over grass etc thats a joke. Chrysler needs to look into this ASAP.
Headers? Rest of exhaust? I would think those get hot enough under any vehicle. If the grass is tall enough, I could see it happen.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
touch a catalytic converter or cross over manifold pipe after the jk has been running for 30 minutes. then let me know if dry grass/ hay can catsh fire from 1100* heat contact.

this is also the likely cause of the jk fire hot trans fluid spews out dip stick tube on to cross over manifold.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

so nobody know nothin about this?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
ANOTHER?!

*eyes JK suspiciously*
Not even remotely the same. Park any vehicle with the exhaust in contact with very dry grass, and it will burn.

"An important part of your vehicle’s emission system is the catalytic converter. It is tasked with reducing harmful emissions that pollute the atmosphere and it has been a part of nearly every passenger vehicle built since the mid 1970s. Unfortunately, the catalytic converter can also run very hot and, at the same time, spark ignition of anything that it comes into contact with."

Last edited by ROKLIMO; 01-08-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Jeep caught on fire and now i have a CEL