Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep Vehicle Theft Security System

Old 02-17-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Vehicle Theft Security System

I'm also posting here because I believe this info belongs under Electronics.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just received my 2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited. I'm very interested in getting the Jeep Security System to work at its full potential without mixing in aftermarket alarm or CANBUS bypass modules. After researching multiple Jeep/MOPAR part web sites, the JK parts manual, and the JK service manual these are my findings:

From Service Manual:
The Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) is an available factory-installed feature on this vehicle. The VTSS is comprised of two primary subsystems: the optional Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) and the standard Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). The VTA is an active system that provides visual and audible responses as deterrents to and warnings of unauthorized vehicle tampering. The SKIS is a passive system that effectively immobilizes the vehicle against unauthorized operation. Following are paragraphs which describe these subsystems of the VTSS.

ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster - The ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) provides security indicator control. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - DESCRIPTION).

Powertrain Control Module - The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides the SKIS engine control logic.

Totally Integrated Power Module (2) - The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is located in the engine compartment, near the battery. The TIPM monitors door, swing gate and hood ajar switch status and provides the VTA system logic. Except for the Sentry Key transponders, which rely upon Radio Frequency (RF) communication, hard wired circuitry connects the VTA and SKIS components to the electrical system of the vehicle. These hard wired circuits are integral to several wire harnesses, which are routed throughout the vehicle and retained by many different methods. These circuits may be connected to each other, to the vehicle electrical system and to the SKIS components through the use of a combination of soldered splices, splice block connectors, and many different types of wire harness terminal connectors and insulators. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

VEHICLE THEFT ALARM (VTA) -The VTA is available in two different configurations for this vehicle: One configuration is designed for vehicles manufactured for sale in North America; while, the other configuration is designed for vehicles manufactured for sale in markets outside of North America, also referred to as export markets within the context of this service information. In addition, the VTA for export is available in two versions: base and premium. All vehicles equipped with VTA are also equipped with the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system and the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), regardless of their market destination.

The North American and export base version of the VTA system provide perimeter vehicle protection by monitoring the vehicle doors, the ignition switch, the swing gate and, for vehicles built for certain markets where it is required equipment, the hood. If unauthorized vehicle use or tampering is detected, these systems respond by pulsing the vehicle horn as an audible deterrent and flashing certain exterior lamps as a visual deterrent.

The export premium version of the VTA system is only available in vehicles manufactured for sale in certain markets where it is required equipment. The export premium version of the VTA provides the same perimeter protection features as the base version, but adds interior [microwave] vehicle intrusion protection. The export premium VTA also enhances the pulsing horn feature of the base version with an alarm siren as the audible deterrent, while retaining the flashing exterior lamps as the visual deterrent.

The VTA includes the following major components, which are described in further detail elsewhere in this service information:

Door Ajar Switches (8) - A door ajar switch is integral to the door latch mechanism of each front and rear door. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - INTERIOR/AJAR SWITCH - DESCRIPTION - DOOR AJAR SWITCH).

Hood Ajar Switch (1) - A hood ajar switch is located in a bracket on the inboard side of the left front fender load path beam within the engine compartment of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment.

Intrusion Module (5) - An intrusion module is located on a bracket on the lower instrument panel reinforcement beneath the driver side instrument panel in the passenger compartment of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment.

Intrusion Sensors (7, 9 and 10) - Two (two-door vehicles) or three (four-door vehicles) microwave intrusion sensors are located within the passenger compartment of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment. One sensor is located within the lower center stack area of the instrument panel, another is located within the rear of the center floor console (four-door vehicles only) and the third is located within the swing gate.

Swing Gate Ajar Switch (11) - A swing gate ajar switch is integral to the latch for the swing gate in the vehicle. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - INTERIOR/AJAR SWITCH - DESCRIPTION - SWING GATE AJAR SWITCH).
Security Indicator (4) - A security indicator is integral to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/SECURITY INDICATOR - DESCRIPTION).

Siren (3) - An alarm siren is located on the right component tray (gasoline engine) or on the inboard side of the left front fender load path beam (diesel engine) within the engine compartment of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment.

Chrysler Part Numbers:
Item #, Part #.
1. Hood Ajar Switch (1), 05026211AA
1a. Hood Ajar Switch Mounting Bracket, 05026202AA
2. Totally Integrated Power Module (2), 04692236AG (AKA: Fuse-Relay Box)
3. Siren (3), 05026292AA
3a. Siren Mounting Bolts: Two (2) x SCREW, Hex Head, M8
4. Security Indicator (4):
A security indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters. However, on vehicles not equipped with the optional Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS), this indicator is electronically disabled. This indicator is located above the coolant temperature gauge on the cluster overlay, to the right of the tachometer.
The security indicator consists of a small round cutout in the opaque layer of the instrument cluster overlay. The dark outer layer of the overlay prevents the indicator from being clearly visible when it is not illuminated. A red Light Emitting Diode (LED) behind the cutout in the opaque layer of the overlay causes the indicator to appear in red through the translucent outer layer of the overlay when it is illuminated from behind by the LED, which is soldered onto the instrument cluster electronic circuit board. The security indicator is serviced as a unit with the instrument cluster.

5. Intrusion Module (5), 05026290AD (AKA: Alarm Module - The Brains)
6. Intrusion Sensors (7, 9 and 10)
6a. (7) and (9) are identical sensors, 05026117AC (Front and Passenger)
6b. (10), 05026318AA (Located in Tailgate for Cargo Area)
7. Not sure about the following, but they seem to be parts for the alarm
7a. 05026442AA WIRING, Instrument Panel Jumper, [LSC] Alarm system
7b. 05026339AA BUSHING, Hinge

What does all of this mean?

This is the EVS I feature quote: "The EVS I Security System for Jeeps with keyless entry. Enjoy the convenience and peace-of-mind of electronic exterior and interior protection with Mopar EVS I Security System. Specifically designed to add security features to your existing remote keyless entry transmitter."

The EVS I has a part number of 82209992AC for the Wrangler. I cannot find this number in either the Part or Service Manuals.
EVS I seems to be a mystery as to what it actually upgrades or changes in the stock alarm system. I have a feeling that EVS I is the Security Alarm listed under "Power Convenience Group - Package 23R" for $800 MSRP.

As a result, I think we can draw one of two conclusions:

Conclusion A
EVS I is a package containing the "export premium version" parts listed below:
1. Siren + Mounting Bolts
2. Hood Switch + Mounting Bracket
3. Front Passenger Area Microwave Sensor
4. Rear Passenger Area Microwave Sensor
5. Cargo Area Microwave Sensor
6. maybe >> New Alarm Module - I say maybe because the stock module should not need to be exchanged/upgraded since all parts seem to communicate using the vehicle CANBUS. Also, it would not be cost effective for Chysler to manufacture multiple alarm modules with the differences being only a few motherboard components.

Conclusion B
If your JK was built for North America and has a remote lock/unlock key FOB as part of the "Power Convenience Group - Package 23R, then you already have EVS I. To get the features of the "export premium version" then you will have to order all parts listed under Conclusion A) and install them separately.

How do we know which conclusion to consider?
1. Someone provide a complete inventory of EVS I kit with part numbers.
2. Someone look at their Alarm Module to see if it matches part number for item (5) listed above. If it does, then Conclusion B) is more evident.

Lastly, if Conclusion B) is the way to go, then we would need cost estimates. Looking at the connectors, all parts seem to be plug-n-play, so you could do it at home without dealer labor costs. Too early to tell if a CANBUS flash would be needed to activate the new sensors.

Just trying to clear or muddy the waters a bit.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7a033d66.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	6280  

Last edited by matt101; 02-17-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm speechless, that's more work than I do at work. I may have to read it again to see what it is telling me. I have found the alarm very complicated and started to give as my dealer was even unsure what protection it provides, other than if the doors get taken off while it is alarmed it will activate.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

One would think that we would be able to get as an option the hood and interior microwave equipment. I have the factory alarm and fancy key but the alarm can be defeated by disconnecting the battery. Tried the Mopar hood lock and that was a waste. You could still open the hood.

Next time at the dealer I will ask if the alarm can be retrofitted with the export parts.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Patchules, you are so right.

Someone could open the lockless hood, disconnect the battery , use a police style slim-jim to open the doors, steal anything they want, reconnect the battery, and close the hood.

The Police would think you were crazy because there would be no obvious signs of a breakin. Especially if the thief reconnected the battery, closed everything, and did not rip apart the dash / glove box.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just buy a dog and leave it in the JEEP .. way easier I think .... Or you can always move to a gated community ...

Quick Reply: Jeep Vehicle Theft Security System