Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

A JK-Forum User-created DEFINITIVE guide to Amps, Subs, and Audio

Old 10-01-2009, 06:56 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
go aftermarket. You will never get a factory amp to work. It would require plugs and wiring your jeep does not have, plus the dealer would have to starscan it. Kinda pointless to do all that when a alpine PDX fits in the same spot and has more power and crossover/power controls. Get one on ebay for $350.

would the PAC add an amp adapter work w/ the REQ unit i just upgraded to?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b_c
I would just get the $15 pac line level converter and splice it to the front channels if it was me. But I am cheap.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by b_c

don't really feel like splicing...

anyone have any experience w/ the PAC adapter on a REQ?? ...don't want to spend money on something that won't work.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi

be careful which one you get. Lots of guys have got the C2A-CHY2 and had problems with it. I think the primary concern is that it makes you lose the ability to control the volume. Here is one thread about it: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=C2A-CHY2
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

be careful which one you get. Lots of guys have got the C2A-CHY2 and had problems with it. I think the primary concern is that it makes you lose the ability to control the volume. Here is one thread about it: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=C2A-CHY2

called their tech support...talked to they guy and told him the setup i have and where i want to be...(req hu, no amp, want aftermarket amp to power all speakers and sub)

...he suggested the AOEM-CHR3 model. got it on order off ebay $49.99 all-in. will let you know how it goes.

b_c
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the middle of hooking up the wifes setup right now. The 6-disc HU just arrived today, still waiting on the sub...

I went w/ the AOEM-CHR3 and this is what it said from where I purchased it:

This adapter is a plug and play add-an-amplifier kit for select factory Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep stereo systems.

Easy and simple installation without having to cut up or splice the factory stereo wiring.

Use this adapter to add aftermarket amplifiers to your existing stereo system.

4 channel adapter that is linear from 20 to 20k hz.

Adjustable, independant gain controls for each channel.

An amplifier turn on wire is provided.

Compatibility Notes:

This adapter will not work with vehicles that originally came with an external factory amplifier (ie. Boston Acoustics, Infinity, etc).

Works with the following vehicles:

JEEP
2007-2008 Wrangler

I did give it a trial test run w/ the stock sub and I did have volume....
Her factory system is/was NON-Infinity

Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

i've upgraded my res to req head unit, and i've also picked up an oem sub w/ enclosure, BUT how/where do i wire it if i'm getting the aoem-chr3? is there a clip-in somewhere in on the overheads in the back? where do i get the wiring?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by b_c
i've upgraded my res to req head unit, and i've also picked up an oem sub w/ enclosure, BUT how/where do i wire it if i'm getting the aoem-chr3? is there a clip-in somewhere in on the overheads in the back? where do i get the wiring?

That unit goes in at the head unit doesnt it? Don't you plug it in between the head unit and the factory plug? I dunno anything about that unit. Is it 4 channels or just 2? If you are smart, you will get your signal from the front channels. The rear has very little bass and less volume.

What amp are you using?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
b_c
JK Newbie

That unit goes in at the head unit doesnt it? Don't you plug it in between the head unit and the factory plug? I dunno anything about that unit. Is it 4 channels or just 2? If you are smart, you will get your signal from the front channels. The rear has very little bass and less volume.

What amp are you using?

probably going w/ a rf punch 4chan ~500w...have had 2 rf punches before and never have had a problem w/ them.

and the way the schematic looks, the rca's plug into the amp and the lines "splice" the factory wiring through the supplied harness.

get signal from front speakers? would that require me splicing into the front speaker wires of the module's harness?

...forgive my ig. i'm starting to see the light...just walk me through it, please.

b_c

Last edited by b_c; 10-02-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

few things. First, I havent used that adapter but it looks like a great solution. All you have to do is unplug the back of the factory radio and plug the factory plug into the grey female socket in the PAC kit, and then plug the male grey plug on the PAC into the back of the radio. The white plug goes into the PAC box. Then the RCA's (that plug in the other end of the PAC box will give you output for all 4 channels. I am sure you know all that, but you sounded just a little unsure.

If I was adding a sub and amp then I would use the RCA plugs coming from the PAC that go to the front channels. You said you are going to use a 4 channel amp? Are you going to use the other 2 channels on your dash and sounbar speakers? Have you thought about using a 5 channel amp? That is what the JK comes with stock. one channel for each speaker and one channel for the sub. that is why many on here use the alpine PDX5 cause it powers everything and fits in the dash. Are you going to replace the sub that comes in the stock enclosure? if not, you are gonna have to be super careful. That amp will blow that dinky sub if you turn it up much.

Quick Reply: A JK-Forum User-created DEFINITIVE guide to Amps, Subs, and Audio