Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JKU backup camera install for $110

Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default JKU backup camera install for $110

I got some good information from this forum and others that helped me install a backup camera on my 2017 JKU. Sharing information and returning the favor...

I must say that the install was relatively easy thanks to videos and posts. The only time consuming part was where I installed the camera. After considering installation on a number or buying a bracket, I ended up making my own mount for the best camera angle. It took me 2-3 hours to install but it could have been less if I didn't have to drill holes and mont the camera the way I did. I now only need to clean the mount because I used all the rubber washers that came with the camera to change the angel up.

Here is what I bought (hardware and software).

1. JScan software 1 VIN license $18.00 (App Store) - Used it to unlock the radio and change many other settings on my Jeep.
2. vGate ODB port adapter $29.99 (link) - This ODB adapter works with Jscan
3. Radio video harness $19.99 (link)
4. Camera (came with all required accessories for installation) $39.99 - (link) - Could've bought a $10 camera but this one is ip69k and nice quality.

Total: $108 + hours of research + installation time.

Videos that helped with the install:
Radio Removal:
Wiring (automatic or Manual):

Last edited by rasonics; 06-07-2019 at 06:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rasonics:
hivoltagedriver (06-13-2019), JKForums (06-07-2019), ShawnInPaso (06-15-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks good. Did you actually mount the camera to the centercap? So if you ever had to use your spare, you would need to remove the cap to move the tire off the mount?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That was the tricky and time consuming pat of the install. Camera connects to the extension wire with a four pin connector. I have teraflex HD spare mount. I drilled a hole in the spare mount plate that is behind the centercap which enabled me to fish the extension wire all the way inside the centercap and connect the camera to extension wire. If I have to change the spare tire, I will just open the centercap, disconnect the four pin connector, and use the same centercap where camera is mounted. Will post a picture later...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been looking at adding one myself. I've heard good things about that JScan ap. I'll need to jst get it done. Thanks for the write up.
The following users liked this post:
rasonics (06-18-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ingenuity - one of the reasons I joined this forum years ago when I bought my first JK. Love seeing people come up with cool ideas like this. Clean look man.
The following users liked this post:
rasonics (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: JKU backup camera install for $110