Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JKU map light replacement with brighter LED

Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JKU map light replacement with brighter LED

I recently picked up a '13 JKU and started replacing all of the interior bulbs with high power LED's (6000k color). This is something I do with all of my vehicles, call it OCD if you will.

My question for you guys is has anybody successfully removed the tungsten colored bulbs located in the rear view mirror and replace them with different ones? I think I read somewhere else that they are soldered into the mirror but I haven't gotten a solid confirmation on that yet.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't checked that out yet, but if you find a good bulb replacement for the damn fog lights please let me know!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Haven't checked that out yet, but if you find a good bulb replacement for the damn fog lights please let me know!
Ebay.... Smd bulb. I'll see if I can find the link for the ones I got.... They match my trucklites perfect
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi

Heres a link to the Amber ones----> 2 x H16 Yellow LED Bulbs DRL Fog Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

Heres a link to the 6000K ones----> High Power White LED Fog Light Bulbs DRL Lamp 5202 5201 H16 PSX24W | eBay

I currently run the 6000k ones.....to the OP i looked around and didnt see anything for the mirrors....sorry
Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Heres a link to the Amber ones----> 2 x H16 Yellow LED Bulbs DRL Fog Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

Heres a link to the 6000K ones----> High Power White LED Fog Light Bulbs DRL Lamp 5202 5201 H16 PSX24W | eBay

I currently run the 6000k ones.....to the OP i looked around and didnt see anything for the mirrors....sorry
Duuuuuude thank you! I just ordered a set of fogs. We'll see how they turn out.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Duuuuuude thank you! I just ordered a set of fogs. We'll see how they turn out.
When u get them there will be 3 tabs on the side if it and there will be 3 slots on ur fog lights housings. These tabs won't all fit. Just get a pair of wire cutters and trip the plastic tabs off. U only need to trim 2 of the 3..pm me if u have any problems. I'll explain it better. Takes 2 sec to mod light bulb
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZJP
I recently picked up a '13 JKU and started replacing all of the interior bulbs with high power LED's (6000k color). This is something I do with all of my vehicles, call it OCD if you will.

My question for you guys is has anybody successfully removed the tungsten colored bulbs located in the rear view mirror and replace them with different ones? I think I read somewhere else that they are soldered into the mirror but I haven't gotten a solid confirmation on that yet.

Thanks.
The rear view mirror lights are soldered in. I replaced the other interior lights with LED's and the rearview lights wouldn't turn off. I checked around and it looks like it's a common problem, so I just opened the door on the bottom of the mirror and unplugged the lights then put the door back on. I imagine that you could find small enough LED's and solder them in, but for now all you can do is either live with the yellow light or disconnect them.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Jersey... I needed some dogs to match my Trucklites.. Just ordered!! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking at the replacement fog lights with your link but it says they aren't compatible with my 13 Sahara. Has anyone put them in a 13?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by firerich19
I was looking at the replacement fog lights with your link but it says they aren't compatible with my 13 Sahara. Has anyone put them in a 13?
I have ones very similar to them in my 13 and they fit fine. I had to trim a couple of the tabs on the connector, but otherwise plugged in and works fine.

Quick Reply: JKU map light replacement with brighter LED