Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JKU map light replacement with brighter LED

Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they work better than the factory ones? Can you tell mow where you got them and what type they are? Just replaced both dome lights with LEDs and what a HUGE difference. I'm leaving the map lights and planning on adding a couple of LED strips to the front foot wells even though there is a single LED there already. Not sure why they just put LEDs there?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by firerich19
Do they work better than the factory ones? Can you tell mow where you got them and what type they are? Just replaced both dome lights with LEDs and what a HUGE difference. I'm leaving the map lights and planning on adding a couple of LED strips to the front foot wells even though there is a single LED there already. Not sure why they just put LEDs there?
I've got 2 of the LED's for the front dome and the beam on them isn't nearly as good as the stock bulbs. They're bright, but useless as map lights. They're ok if you just want to put some light in the general area of the cabin.

My 2 cents and personal experience. I've since put the LEDs back in my tool box and the stock bulbs back in the jeep.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Recon LED Interior Jeep Lights=map light won't turn off

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd chime in. I have Recon and JWSPeaker lights all the way around my 13' Jeep Rubicon. I ordered the $79 set of interior LED lights from Recon. Of the six lights you receive in the pack, only three are compatible in the Jeep. Once installed, my map lights on the rear view mirror would not go out. Not good while driving at night!
I ended up doing what joeg679 recommended, just disconnected the map lights. Ridiculous that Recon sells three bulbs for $80 and you have to disconnect two. Bottom line? I have a net gain of one light.

Originally Posted by joeg679
The rear view mirror lights are soldered in. I replaced the other interior lights with LED's and the rearview lights wouldn't turn off. I checked around and it looks like it's a common problem, so I just opened the door on the bottom of the mirror and unplugged the lights then put the door back on. I imagine that you could find small enough LED's and solder them in, but for now all you can do is either live with the yellow light or disconnect them.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Here are the LED bolts I added to the sound bar plus a strip on the center console by the HVAC knobs. I have tons of light now. I put a piece of electrical tape over the map lights since I flipped it over for a better view.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-594138429.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	583559   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1625031485.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	583560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2073046335.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	64.1 KB