Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

kc light wiring question

Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kc light wiring question

I have the KC slimlite driving lights that come with the wiring. I want to hook them up to the high beams, and was wondering if everybody did it like the instructions say, or if you did it another way. I was also wondering which wire is the high beam, and where did you tap into it at? I think I'm supposed to tap the white wire that runs to the switch into the high beam wire. Can someone that has done it confirm this?
Thanks

Last edited by KCTW; 01-24-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just hook both positive wires to the battery... Just don't forget to turn them off after using them. I've got the long range lights, so i don't use them often, but if you tap into high beam wire, your warranty might be voided
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NITRORC pilot
I have the KC slimlite driving lights that come with the wiring. I want to hook them up to the high beams, and was wondering if everybody did it like the instructions say, or if you did it another way. I was also wondering which wire is the high beam, and where did you tap into it at? I think I'm supposed to tap the white wire that runs to the switch into the high beam wire. Can someone that has done it confirm this?
Thanks

My a-pillar lights are hooked up the way your directions say. Powered straight from the battery to the lights through the relay, the relay is triggered by the wire to the high beam circuit. The switch will turn the lights on and off, but that switch ONLY has power to it if the highbeams are on. That way the lights can only be on when the highbeams are on.

NYS law says i have to do it that way.

I didnt use the KC harness, so i cannot confirm which color wire gets hooked to the highbeams, but IIRC it is the white one.
My switch wire is connected behind the passenger side headlight (damned little room in there to work though) to a White wire with a Gray stripe.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's the white wire with the inline 3amp fuze that you want to run to the High Beam. I didn't run it that way but that's the one that your lookin for.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
Thankfully I don't have to worry about that... But I've always wondered- do they check that during a yearly inspection? And if so, couldn't someone just remove the fuses before going to inspection, and then tell the inspector that the lights don't work, they were just added because you like the look
Depending on where you go, yes, they do check them.

If they are on the vehicle, they have to function. I have been harassed about it, i cant say for sure it is a law, but the inspection station CAN fail you if they dont (i have had it done to me)

Mine are wired to function legally with the switches on the dash.
Highbeams on:
  • foglights go out (regardless of if their switch is on).
  • driving lights come on (if their switch is on).
Highbeams off:
  • driving lights go out (regardless of if their switch is on).
  • fog lights come on (if their switch is on).
Any insepector flipping my lights on/off will be using the hi/low beam circuit to check them.

Now, havin' said that.... everything is relay controlled... it would be extremely easy to run a second switched wire to the relay trigger... which would in effect bypass all that gobbledy gook...

Not that i would know anything about that.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
My switch wire is connected behind the passenger side headlight (damned little room in there to work though) to a White wire with a Gray stripe.
Good deal ... That was just what I was looking for....

Thanks for sharing !!!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

My X didnt come with factory fogs. My bumpers came with 6" lights already mounted. Right now they arent wired. I want to wire them to the headlights so when the headlights are on the offroad lights are on. Any insight into how to do that would be greatly appreciated. I dont know the maker of the lights, all I can get from the Bumper Manufactures website is "Series 6" super white off road lights. They came with a quick connect for connecting to the factory fogs which I dont have.

Quick Reply: kc light wiring question