Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Key fob stopped working tonight, looking for some help

Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 KJ Rubicon Unlimited and one of my key fobs stopped working last week.
I also changed the battery but to no avail.
I took it into the dealership today for an emissions recall (and the key fob) and low and behold, my spare stopped working as well.
The service dude was stumped.
They have ordered 2 new key fobs for me (under warranty) and should be here next week.
So...I drive home, go inside and check the battery in the spare, put it back together and IT WORKS!
I will give an update on how this all works out next week.
I have a hunch it might be the WCM (wireless control module) but I'll cross that bridge if/when the time comes that the new fobs don't work.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most car remotes operate on 315mhz, for what that's worth.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Did it just need to be reprogrammed?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

This may sound dumb but with all the solar activity we have been having do you think this could effect them, mine stopped working the other day, but when I got home it was working fine. It's almost like you said it's like something interfering with them. I know all the batteries are good and no other problems. just curious
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

I guess I'll find out next Saturday (Feb.11th) if the new keys work or not.
Meanwhile...The spare is still sorta semi working...on and off
I have also noticed a few times since this key fob thing started happening, I've had it start, then immediately shut down, like I'd used a non-security key. It usually will start on additional tries.
also today...I went to head out in the jeep (armed it last night with the fob) and it would'nt unarm with the fob so I had to manually unlock the door with the key which set the alarm off.
I then, put the key in, turned it to ignition and then to off which turned the alarm off and was able to start the Jeep.
If it happens again after I get the new keys, I will get them to replace the WCM (under warranty of course)

Don't get me wrong....I love my Jeep but this key fob thing is a royal pain.

Cheers all.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Well.....I went to the dealership today and they cut the new keys/fob.

After about an hour, the service writer says I'm ready to go but they were unable to get the new fob's to properly match up with the WCM (wireless control module)
When they would go to start it, it would stall out like the keys weren't authorized to start it.
He did say that both of the old ones are are working now
They lock and unlock but still give me the starting/stalling thing
He sent me on my way with the old semi working keys/fobs and said he'll contact me mid week when the new WCM comes in and they can replace that. (thank god for warranty)
Dang gremlins!!

Update next week

Still love my Jeep!
Cheers
Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

UPDATE

OK...February 25th and I just got back from the dealership and it only took 1 hour.
They replaced the WCM and reprogramed all the keys except one which failed to program so I have 3 keys now.
All seems good so far...I have all the fuctions back and the ignition seems to regognize the keys/fobs with no problems.
It appears it was the WCM (part#05026074-AR) all along.
Glad it was under warranty.

Time will tell.
Still love my Jeep!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started having problems with one of my key fobs yesterday. For some reason, it just quit working. I figured the barrety had gone south, so I got a new 2032 battery and checked it first. It had 3.4V. I installed it. The key fob still wouldn't work, but after I pushed the unlock button about 6-7 times, then it worked. I locked the Jeep and figured it just needed a little time to link with the WCM. A little voice told me to check it again, and sure enough, same thing. It won't work, but after I push it 6-7 times and wait for about ten seconds, then it will work. I tried the spare, it works perfectly every time making me think the problem is the fob, not the WCM.

I took it apart and cleaned the contacts for the battery. No change. Sometimes it works, other times, nope.

Being in PNG, I can't simply take it to the dealer to get a new key programmed. I've got to solve this here.

Suggestions?

Tom

Quick Reply: Key fob stopped working tonight, looking for some help