Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.
View Poll Results: Boston vs Kicker
Kicker 77KICK10's
50.00%
Boston Acoustics 5081670AB
40.00%
Other (Post)
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Kicker 77KICK10's vs the Boston Acoustics Upgrade

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kicker 77KICK10's vs the Boston Acoustics Upgrade

Reading the Boston Acoustics upgrade thread and several others on here leads me to believe there's basically two OEM upgrade options. The Boston Acoustics (5081670AB) out of the 2010 Challanger or the Kicker 77KICK10's.

Both are direct factory replacements to my understanding which is good, this is my Jeep and I'll leave my $3500 audio system for my sports car/daily driver. I'm wanting a low cost upgrade to get some better sound than the mediocre Infinities I have in my '08.

So what's the overall verdict on these? Is one more popular than the other? Has anyone tried both? Other options that don't involve crossovers and Dayton drivers?

- Skip
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my front and rear speakers with the Kickers. No complaints at all. Size difference of magnet compared to stock is night and day. Direct plug-n-play, no splicing or anything needed.

To my understanding, Boston Acoustics is a great brand, but more for Home Theater Systems and computers, etc.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

I'm happy with my kickers. Yes, there are better speakers out there but I'm happy with them. They are inexpensive and they fit the bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-277259166.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	430625   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2314497772.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	430626  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm leaning more towards the Bostons the more I read about them. They sound more like a dedicated mid which is what I'd expect from those locations. I don't really want to throw some tweeters over my head and ruin what little sound stage their is.

That being said has anyone experimented with replacing the factory tweeters with with aftermarkets? Been looking at the Super Tweeters as well as some custom options from Tang Band and Dayton.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my factory tweeters. It makes a huge difference. I used audio pipe 200 watts there. Have mid range in dash and overhead. All my stuff is amped up and on an eq so it sounds crisp. I had to shave a quarter inch to fit aftermarket tweeters in.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Daddydru
I replaced my factory tweeters. It makes a huge difference. I used audio pipe 200 watts there. Have mid range in dash and overhead. All my stuff is amped up and on an eq so it sounds crisp. I had to shave a quarter inch to fit aftermarket tweeters in.
I appreciate the reply! Not exactly what I was hoping to find out though. I was wanting to do this off the factory amp.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Skip....The BA's are a direct plug and play ..aside from the pia of getting them in the dash ....It made an incredible sound difference ...it has to be soundbar and fronts in order to be able to hear tho...some have only done fronts or rears (sound bar) and there is not much of a difference but when you change them all out ..it is like night and day. I was amazed ...it even wakes up the sub in back ...don't quite know why but this is what they should have done from factory. Even the volume seems to gain lots more where I used to have to turn it up all the way ...now I only need to be just above half to enjoy my music. Great enhancement on the cheap!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know about replacing the sub for something with a little more punch? Still fitting the stock location though.

Quick Reply: Kicker 77KICK10's vs the Boston Acoustics Upgrade