Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED fog lights as auxiliary backup lights?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
I'm planning on just having the backup lights go on when I'm in reverse. That's one of the reasons I'm going with low draw LED lights... simplicity!
In that case you just need to splice to the reverse power wire. I would still use a relay tho, but you wont need to run any wires up to the front for power/switch...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With both lights together drawing 1/2 an amp or less I'm not planning on using a relay. Obviously that could change if the additional draw causes computer issues but I don't believe it will.

One thing to consider for those looking to do the same thing but also wanting the lights available on demand would be to use a relay and constant 12v source in back and add a concealed weatherproof switch.

Now that I think about it, I might go ahead and do that anyway since low draw lights could be useful for other things. If I were using halogen lights I wouldn't even bother.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jmat1980

Your drawing is very interesting. However, you should read ( and Head ) the folowing

Protection diodes for relays
Transistors and ICs must be protected from the brief high voltage produced when a relay coil is switched off. The diagram shows how a signal diode (eg 1N4148) is connected 'backwards' across the relay coil to provide this protection.
Current flowing through a relay coil creates a magnetic field which collapses suddenly when the current is switched off. The sudden collapse of the magnetic field induces a brief high voltage across the relay coil which is very likely to damage transistors and ICs. The protection diode allows the induced voltage to drive a brief current through the coil (and diode) so the magnetic field dies away quickly rather than instantly. This prevents the induced voltage becoming high enough to cause damage to transistors and ICs.
OpenTrackRacer
You should be fine just adding the LED's. But you will not have the convenience of the manual switch.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Actually, I can have a manual switch... it'll just be outside under the rear bumper.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

So, I bought a set of Pilot Navigator LED fog lights from Amazon for around $45. They're better made than I expected. The beam pattern is far from ideal for a backup light. It's very concentrated in a narrow rectangular bar. It's more of a low power driving light. They are quite bright however... much brighter than I expected.

The bad news is that Pilot has chosen to use a power resistor instead of a controller to allow the LED's to operate at 12v. The lights draw 800ma instead of the expected 250-300ma. That's probably too much for the existing backup light circuit to supply without annoying the computer (I haven't tried yet however).

For me, the power draw, coupled with the beam patten make these undesirable as backup lights. I'm going to look around for another brand but I didn't see much out there that was more than a cluster of low power LED's. It looks like I might have to go halogen with a relay and line from the battery after all.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

I put some V-Leds into the fog light housings relocated in my MBRP front bumper. The bumper recesses the housing in to a deep holes dramatically narrowing the beam. The LED's were also not as bright as I had hoped but bright non the less. I use them as DRL's and don't worry about them burning out. The fog light indicator comes on in the instrument binacle and I have had no problems with the CAN bus. One other interesting bit, I submerged them out at Arch Canyon several times in May. They didn't work for about a day afterwards but started back shortly thereafter and have worked ever since.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

i added a set of halogen fog lights from walmart, $18.96.

wired them up to the pass. side reverse light. works fine, very clean install. very easy IMO.

not sure how to post pics properly here so heres a link to my blog...i did a full write up for a friend.

http://cra5hproductions.squarespace....rse-light-mod/
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a huge write-up on this a few months back. I had issues with uploading the pictures, so I just put it all into a Word document. PM me and I can send you a link to the file on Google docs.

Here is what the wiring diagram looks like, though (click for a larger version):

Click image for larger version

Name:	backup_lights_wiring_diagram_large..jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	91154

FYI I have a 3-way Contura switch that let's me:

1. Turn on the reverse lights manually
2. Cut power to the reverse lights completely
3. Turn the reverse lights on when the Jeep is put into reverse.

I felt that option #2 was a good idea just in case I was trying to be stealthy, or show a pissed-off cop that the lights aren't hardwired.

My install includes the aforementioned diodes and the use of a relay.

-Dawn
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cra5h
i added a set of halogen fog lights from walmart, $18.96.

wired them up to the pass. side reverse light. works fine, very clean install. very easy IMO.

not sure how to post pics properly here so heres a link to my blog...i did a full write up for a friend.

http://cra5hproductions.squarespace....rse-light-mod/
You NEED to install a relay on those halogen backup lights before you fry your factory harness. Those cheap Walmart lights are still 55 watts each (for a total of 110 watts) the factory harness and the factory reverse switch are not designed to draw that much current through them. You WILL melt something soon.....

If you fry the reverse switch guess where it is.........IN the transmission.

A 5 dollar relay can stop you from having to spend thousands of dollars to repair your JK.

Last edited by whpony96; 02-27-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnBelay
I did a huge write-up on this a few months back. I had issues with uploading the pictures, so I just put it all into a Word document. PM me and I can send you a link to the file on Google docs.

Here is what the wiring diagram looks like, though (click for a larger version):

Attachment 91154

FYI I have a 3-way Contura switch that let's me:

1. Turn on the reverse lights manually
2. Cut power to the reverse lights completely
3. Turn the reverse lights on when the Jeep is put into reverse.

I felt that option #2 was a good idea just in case I was trying to be stealthy, or show a pissed-off cop that the lights aren't hardwired.

My install includes the aforementioned diodes and the use of a relay.

-Dawn
Nice write-up Dawn! This is the correct way to wire up the reverse lights.

Quick Reply: LED fog lights as auxiliary backup lights?