Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Light bar Options in 2017

Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Light bar Options in 2017

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 30-inch light bar to mount on my JK's hood, and wanted to get everyone's opinion on some options:

1. Rigid Adapt: Looks pretty cool and I like that they can change the beam pattern instantly. Looks kind of expensive though.

2. Rigid RDS: Curved bar should give a wider beam pattern and help with visibility?

3. Rigid E-Series: I keep reading that Rigid makes the best lights. This looks like a way to get some Rigid lights without breaking the bank.

4. People often compare Rigid's stuff to lights made by Baja Designs and Vision X. Anybody have any experience with those brands lights? Are they better or worse than Rigid lights?

5. I saw in a bunch of older forum posts that people are liking stuff made by Aurora (the website looks kind of crappy and makes me worry about the quality of their lights), Lifetime LEDs, and Black Oak. I know all three of those companies are on the cheaper end. If anyone has actually had experience with any of these lights and Rigid's stuff (or comparable lights like Baja or Vision X), how do these cheaper lights bars compare?

I want to buy the best, but I also don't want to spend a fortune if there isn't a noticeable difference. I’d really appreciate your thoughts on the options listed (or throw out some alternatives if I missed any!).

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor

Are you fixed on a 30", most JKs run a 20" on the hood
Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sami@inspired-engineering
Are you fixed on a 30", most JKs run a 20" on the hood
Hi Sami,

I'm not necessarily locked in on a 30 inch bar. Anywhere between 20-30 inches is where I was looking to be.

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I've never much understood the hood mount. Decent bit of the light hits right on the hood itself. I'm not a fan of 50" either, but at least it's mounted higher with a bit more clearance on the lower side to cast some light. Bumper/a-pillar lights have always seemed like a better option to me. Is there some specific function you're looking for out of a 20-30" hood mounted? Does your build just dictate that is where it needs to go, or is that just your preference on looks?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to go cheaper, Westin just came out with a cowl mount single row 40 inch light. At the Quadratec tent sale, they were selling them for $399 with the mounts.

Quick Reply: LED Light bar Options in 2017