Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Light bar causing soft top buffeting...ELIMINATED!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should add that when the location is finalized I will drill a small hole thru the fin and a smaller hole in the plexi, then I will tap the plexi for a #10x 32 screw. I figure that i will only need the plexi in the summer so when the soft top comes off in the fall I will pull the plexi off also. No need to have a shelf for the snow to build up
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Great thank you for the info. I will have to try this before my 13 hour drive to Co.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Post Quick Questions

Did you make or buy the bracket? If you did where did you buy it from? Is the reinforcement necessary?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

That's nice... I did a similar fix but used a piece of aluminum that was a nice snug fit between the fins.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mglad1
That's nice... I did a similar fix but used a piece of aluminum that was a nice snug fit between the fins.
Did that get rid of the buffeting of your soft top by itself, or did you also do some type of adapter brackets to reposition the light bar?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

I only used the original bracket but it had 2 options for positioning the light bar. I simply did trial and error to see which one worked for me.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default any buffeting, or it just made it tolerable?

I only used the original bracket but it had 2 options for positioning the light bar. I simply did trial and error to see which one worked for me.
Nice! And the buffeting is completely gone? Like you can drive at interstate speeds without any buffeting, or it just made it tolerable?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I love the light bar now I was contemplating dumping it when I was able to figure it out. I work at a local airport so I had the benefit of being able to make adjustments the run it down the runway to test it again. That helped a lot. To fine tune things.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I love the light bar now I was contemplating dumping it when I was able to figure it out. I work at a local airport so I had the benefit of being able to make adjustments the run it down the runway to test it again. That helped a lot. To fine tune things.
For sure having an airstrip right there would be a huge help! I'm still playing around with adjusting it, but just haven't found a sweet spot yet that really gets completely rid of the buffeting like when the light bar is removed, but I'm hoping adding a fin like you did may do the trick. I really don't want to get rid of the light bar, but I also drive between FL and GA a few times a year and the way it is right now would be intolerable for an hour on the interstate, never mind 8 hours!

But I'm glad to hear you were able to stop the buffeting entirely. That gives me hope so I'm not going to quit trying yet! Thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try turning on ur a/c or heater. Forcing air into to the cab does a decent job in equaling out the air pressure differences. When I'm on the hwy and I get buffeting, turning on the air nearly cancels it out. Either that or I just crank the radio. Both in conjunction works for me every time.

Quick Reply: Light bar causing soft top buffeting...ELIMINATED!!!!!!