Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lighting gremlin help

Old 06-11-2018, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting gremlin help

2008 JKU. All stock electrical except the addition of a Clarion head unit with backup camera (2013), and trailer wiring (2011). Both professionally installed

problem: randomly (wet, dry, day, night, hot, cold) left side turn signal goes out (fast blink indication) and left side brake light goes out. Occasionally right side does the same. Bulbs do not show burned out.

I’ve replaced the bulbs (validated correct part #) just to check.

The odd thing is whenever it happens, if I remove and replace the bulb (same bulb - just pull out and put back in), it works fine until it happens all over again (can be hours, days, weeks, or months).

Last edited by slowpoke13; 06-11-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

These things are hard to pinpoint, but that really sounds like some sort of grounding issue. Bad grounds result in all sort of whacky behavior. I would say the couple things you listed in regards to work could have opened up grounds as a possibility. It only takes 1 bad ground to create a gremlin.

Quick Reply: Lighting gremlin help