Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lights mounted on Light Bar

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights mounted on Light Bar

So just a quick question,

I know that it is illegal to drive with "off road lights" on on the road. However, KC Fog Lights are not only meant for off road... I never have gotten in trouble for using them on the road before but they were mounted right to the bumper.

My question, is that if I move these fog lights to a light bar (that would be just above bumper height) can I still use them on the road? For some reason I remember hearing that if lights are on a light bar they can not be used on the road.

Maybe someone can clear this up? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

each state has different height laws for lights. Check yours and see if you fall within the legal height.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here there is a Chapter 90 law that specifically pertains to aftermarket lighting. The addition of aftermarket lighting is a 100 dollar ticket.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK in NY, they need to be below the headlights to be used on road, but i'm not 100% sure on that. NY law is so wonderfully vague.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know in Iowa you are allowed to run up to 4 lights at a time, but all lights must be 48" or less from the road surface. Each state is different, and sometimes you need to dig to find the laws regarding this issue.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Im new to living here in FL, so Im not sure what the rule is. I thought as long as it wasn't more than 4 lights, and as stated before; below headlight height then it was fine. But Im really not sure.

Where can I look this up for FL state?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's your law.

316.233 Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.--

(1) SPOT LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.

(2) FOG LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in s. 316.237(1)(b).

(3) AUXILIARY PASSING LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of s. 316.237 shall apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary passing lamps.

(4) AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of s. 316.237 shall apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

(5) VIOLATIONS.--A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 183, ch. 99-248.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

And here is the Florida Uniform Traffic code 316.237....

316.237 Multiple-beam road-lighting equipment.--

(1) Except as hereinafter provided, the headlamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations and such lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically, subject to the following limitations:

(a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's visibility from at least 450 feet for an uppermost distribution of light or at least 150 feet for a lowermost distribution of light may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every new motor vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the headlamps is in use, and shall not otherwise be lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

So according to this you'll need to have no more than two and they must be less than 42 inches from the surface of the road.

I imagine you may still get pulled over for having your big round "On Road" lamps burning on the street. It'll be up to you to prove they are not "Off Road" Do the lenses have a DOT number?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: Lights mounted on Light Bar