Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Map Light LED Replacement

Old 03-03-2016, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on the swap just did it to complete me white led interior swap. The led you recommended was a bit larger than the original yellow led but I made it work. Happy with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-249500347.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	639604  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great CJames!

The LED's were not exact but it can be done! Mine are still working great and I love the look. It is a very tedious job but its worth it in the end. I'm all about attention to detail and I think this really adds to the appearance!

When I did mine I had the same problem someone else mentioned. After soldering one and testing it the light would not come on. What I did was before unsoldering, plug in the board and mark each LEDs positive and negative. Then take the new LED and use a 9v battery and 2 - 6 inch pieces of wire to locate + and - of the LED. I put a tiny black mark on the negative side so I didnt forget. This should solve that problem.
The following users liked this post:
Montego (04-05-2022)
Old 03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Really cool thanks for posting this - i just recently put LEDs in the Dome and Rear, havent had a chance to swap out the map lights yet, but i have noticed that now my map lights are on constantly - does this replacement solve the issue? Or has anyone else found a fix for this?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JustinLiller
Really cool thanks for posting this - i just recently put LEDs in the Dome and Rear, havent had a chance to swap out the map lights yet, but i have noticed that now my map lights are on constantly - does this replacement solve the issue? Or has anyone else found a fix for this?
If you replaced the rear dome light with a non can bus LED it will make the map lights stay on. Got to get a can bus LED rear dome light to fix that issue
Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snowake36
There are the exact ones that I used.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led/1383/3187/

Yo snowflake. Bought the ones you recommend and it looks like they don't leads like I was expecting. Are they surface mount? I am just pretty unsure if I have the right equipment or even the ability to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Map light LED replacement

This weekend I received the LED bulbs that I ordered for this project. I was able to successfully replace the map lights with new 6000k LED bulbs by re-soldering them onto the board. If anyone would like to do this project I can walk them through how I did it.

Okay, walk me through. This looks like what I want to do.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

looks great!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This weekend I received the LED bulbs that I ordered for this project. I was able to successfully replace the map lights with new 6000k LED bulbs by re-soldering them onto the board. If anyone would like to do this project I can walk them through how I did it.

GREAT JOB, I have done all the other bulbs and this has bothered me as well. I was just going to deal with it but I might have to give this a try.
The following users liked this post:
Gerry (03-01-2020)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MotoJeeper
Oznium sells single leds that all you have to do is solder them in. I did this on my map lights and the footwell lights. Just make sure the polarity is correct.
Which ones specifically did you use, model number please.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nice work bud

Is it hard to remove the stock light and solder the new ones?

Quick Reply: Map Light LED Replacement