Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Marine switch on dual batteries

Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine switch on dual batteries

Anyone install a marine switch with your dual battery set up, and if so, any issues to be aware of for install or use?

I am thinking of setting a hidden marine switch to control a dual battery setup and as a redundant theft deterant ... just wondering if this has been tried before and how did it work out ... ?

(*search for "marine switch" on this forum didnt give me any results so asking here)

Last edited by TIE1ON; 03-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Craig (Echo) did a dual marine battery but not sure about your switch question.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the second post from you along these same lines. So what extra accessories are you thinking you will have to hook up? What is your electrical/electronics background? We can get pretty deep in this subject. On a scale of 1 - 10 where do you rate yourself?

A link to a battery switch is below. I don't know that anyone has put one in a JK though. They are quite large, require a sturdy mounting surface and also require large AWG wiring.

bluesea.com/category/1

As a theft deterrent a few people have installed kill switches on the fuel pump. Those are small, can be easily hidden anywhere in the cab and only require 2 18AWG wires.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TIE1ON
Anyone install a marine switch with your dual battery set up, and if so, any issues to be aware of for install or use?

I am thinking of setting a hidden marine switch to control a dual battery setup and as a redundant theft deterant ... just wondering if this has been tried before and how did it work out ... ?

(*search for "marine switch" didnt give me any results so asking here)
If you realy want to use "marine grade" products. Then go for it. They should work just as well as automotive grade products. But they will be more resistant to water. They will cost a little more. And they will take up a little more realistate. And it is just a little overkill.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
This is the second post from you along these same lines. So what extra accessories are you thinking you will have to hook up? What is your electrical/electronics background? We can get pretty deep in this subject. On a scale of 1 - 10 where do you rate yourself?

A link to a battery switch is below. I don't know that anyone has put one in a JK though. They are quite large, require a sturdy mounting surface and also require large AWG wiring.

bluesea.com/category/1

As a theft deterrent a few people have installed kill switches on the fuel pump. Those are small, can be easily hidden anywhere in the cab and only require 2 18AWG wires.
I want to build my 07 JKU into a realistic Search and Rescue vehicle but yet keep a daily driver because I love driving this jeep, not only to get out into the mountains and be paid for it (and the mods I put on it), but to give back to my community.
Win Win.

So I believe in that light I will be adding at least 6 extra lights, CB, HAM, Air Compressor, Winch (of course) 110 outlets etc ... (more?)

My background is that I was a Millwright for 15 years ... welding, parts fabrication, electrical from 110 to well beyond ... i.e. I have enough knowledge to really get me in trouble!

My concern is that I am an idiot when it comes to new computer ran autos, (including jeep) and I want to understand as much as possible before I make costly mistakes.

On a scale of 1-10 in general I rate myself at a 10 simply because I can fabricate any part needed given the right tools, redo any electrical environment given the correct information without issue.

As with most all of us, I simply need the right tools and information to do the best job possible. And I see no need to re-invent the wheel, so ask these questions here. This is the point of the JK forum I believe.

When it comes to Jeep JK electrical schematic I rate myself at a 5 because I understand the dynamics of it, which gets me half way there, but not the specific jeep plan or equipment affected.
And that's my worry ... enough understanding to do a great deal of costly damage by being uniformed.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

I really appreciate everyones input and will put anything I learn here into realistic action.

Any advise is appreciated.

(* I want to build something "bomb proof" with the best possible equipment at the least possible price.)

Last edited by TIE1ON; 03-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it.

Least possible price is going to be tricky.

Look up the Bussmann RTMR. It is small, as waterproof as everything under the hood and takes the same size fuses as the TIPM. It can be configured with 5 Relays with 10 fuses or 20 fuses. Here is a write up from joe002 using the RTMR.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ctrical-Hookup

Sounds like you might want to also consider a dual battery set up. That will allow your HAM gear and A/C outlets to run without draining your engine battery. Since there is no such thing as a free lunch: This will change the layout on the passenger side of the engine. If you plan to install a wiring module in this area you might want to wait until after the dual battery install if you go that way.

How much HAM gear? I have a FT-857. The Scorpion screwdriver currently plugs in but it will be hard wired one day. An automatic tuner (maybe) will be another power tap next to the radio. Finally a tuning switch to bypass the auto tuner would be an additional power tap. That is 3 power taps AFTER the radio is wired straight to the battery. It adds up quick. If you do any packet and need to power a TNC...you get the idea.

Will your air compressor be electric or engine driven? The latter will eat up the real estate on the driver side next to the alternator.

Plan out your circuits. List out anything electrical or electronic you MIGHT want to add. Go nuts. How many straight circuits will you need? How many relay circuits will you need? There are products out there for just about any configuration you can imagine.

While you are planning circuits look around for where you will mount all of the switches. How many will be switched and how many will be "hot" circuits?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
Got it.

Least possible price is going to be tricky.

Look up the Bussmann RTMR. It is small, as waterproof as everything under the hood and takes the same size fuses as the TIPM. It can be configured with 5 Relays with 10 fuses or 20 fuses. Here is a write up from joe002 using the RTMR.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ctrical-Hookup

Sounds like you might want to also consider a dual battery set up. That will allow your HAM gear and A/C outlets to run without draining your engine battery. Since there is no such thing as a free lunch: This will change the layout on the passenger side of the engine. If you plan to install a wiring module in this area you might want to wait until after the dual battery install if you go that way.

How much HAM gear? I have a FT-857. The Scorpion screwdriver currently plugs in but it will be hard wired one day. An automatic tuner (maybe) will be another power tap next to the radio. Finally a tuning switch to bypass the auto tuner would be an additional power tap. That is 3 power taps AFTER the radio is wired straight to the battery. It adds up quick. If you do any packet and need to power a TNC...you get the idea.

Will your air compressor be electric or engine driven? The latter will eat up the real estate on the driver side next to the alternator.

Plan out your circuits. List out anything electrical or electronic you MIGHT want to add. Go nuts. How many straight circuits will you need? How many relay circuits will you need? There are products out there for just about any configuration you can imagine.

While you are planning circuits look around for where you will mount all of the switches. How many will be switched and how many will be "hot" circuits?
Thanks so much Vernnz, really appreciated ... this gets me started in the right direction.
I know NOTHING about HAM radio, but thinking it would be wise ... that one will wait, but dont want to have to configure any set up later simply due to bad planning on my part.
Thanks again!
J D

Quick Reply: Marine switch on dual batteries