Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Gig Updates

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Gig Updates

Does any know if they have any released updates for the MyGig system? To solve the issues with it.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing -- and if so, how do we get our hands on it? If someone can get me a copy of the CD, I can ISO it up and make it available to everyone that has a MyGIG. As far as I'm concerned, it should be perfectly legal for MyGIG owners to have the software updates for free...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hPOD
I've been wondering the same thing -- and if so, how do we get our hands on it? If someone can get me a copy of the CD, I can ISO it up and make it available to everyone that has a MyGIG. As far as I'm concerned, it should be perfectly legal for MyGIG owners to have the software updates for free...
It is not legal, and will not be discussed.

I'd recommend doing a search on this topic..it's been discussed before.

Here's a starting point: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...1&postcount=30
Old 10-09-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

In reading the first post I think Bodybrdng is asking a different question than is discussed in the link posted.

There are two types of updates:

1) Map updates (which the post discusses) which is for the navigation portion of the system and includes updates to the map data. This is licensed content and cannot be freely distributed.

2) System updates (usually a firmware update) which either corrects issues in the firmware (for those that don't know, firmware is the code that typically manages the hardware in an electronic system) or issues in the system level software.

Typically System updates are use-based licenses that only dictate that the user accepts responsibility for using them. These types of updates are periodically released by manufacturers to correct defects or bugs found and can be posted or shared freely as they are only good for users who have the actual hardware supported by the update.

Map updates are not freely distributed because the manufacturer had to pay licensing fees to whoever they get the updated maps from.

Cheers,
Gadget
Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

bodybrdng,
I had my Mygig antena replaced last week, and the dealer service rep said the "flash" and "updates" weren't out yet, but had been pushed back, month to month.

I don't know if this was car dealer speak, but they seemed to know what they were saying...

fyi, the antena replacement was my fix for the location problems, although mine went to Spanish once for about 24 hours, and thats why I'm waiting on the "flash" and/or "update"...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone has a beta update on here, but I was wondering if the MyGig Software had an offcial public release yet not the map updates.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mygig upgrade...

Has anyone that installed a Mygig in your truck needed to have it flashed or scaned with the scan tool at the dealer? I bought a Mygig unit (not here yet!)and saw a few places saying it needed to be connected to have the truck recognise the Mygig. Some say YES some say NO, thats its just a plug and play. FYI Its a new unit not "pulled" from another vehicle. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetPhreak
In reading the first post I think Bodybrdng is asking a different question than is discussed in the link posted.

There are two types of updates:

1) Map updates (which the post discusses) which is for the navigation portion of the system and includes updates to the map data. This is licensed content and cannot be freely distributed.

2) System updates (usually a firmware update) which either corrects issues in the firmware (for those that don't know, firmware is the code that typically manages the hardware in an electronic system) or issues in the system level software.

Typically System updates are use-based licenses that only dictate that the user accepts responsibility for using them. These types of updates are periodically released by manufacturers to correct defects or bugs found and can be posted or shared freely as they are only good for users who have the actual hardware supported by the update.

Map updates are not freely distributed because the manufacturer had to pay licensing fees to whoever they get the updated maps from.

Cheers,
Gadget
Thanks for clearing that up, that's precisely what I was saying. I thought he was referring to the map updates.

It sounds like the data is old, so I hope for those who have them they release an update soon! Old map data is worthless. I know it took forEVER for them to update the map data for my 05 WJ. I still havent bought it becuase, like the JK will be, it costs like $250! Robbery!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
I know someone has a beta update on here, but I was wondering if the MyGig Software had an offcial public release yet not the map updates.
I spoke with my parts dept at my dealership a couple of months ago and like Jack said it is around $200 or so. That is for the whole US and Canada. You can get a regional update for around 150. Snds like if we want map updates we may just have to bend over and tell them to go easy on us. LOL.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

I think I have a beta update, I also hav another one being sent out this week sometime to fix the preset disapperance issue. What firmware version are all you on?

Quick Reply: My Gig Updates