Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My System is done....for now :)

Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My System is done....for now :)...new update!

Its actually been done for a month or so, but Im just now getting around to posting up pictures

Here is what I have...

Pioneer AVIC D3 with navigation and DVD video, ipod control, bluetooth hands free, and xm radio.
JL Audio 500/5 five channel amp mounted on the tailgate with a custom trim panel painted to match.
JL Audio XR650-CSi 6.5" component speakers for the front
JL Audio TR650-CXi 6.5" coaxial speakers for the rear
Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subwoofers

Details.....
The D3 is mounted in a custom dash bezel that I made and painted it with greystone paint to match the Jeep, along with the vent bezels and the piece around the shifter.
The ipod cable comes out in the glove box since I dont need to even touch the ipod to control it. The D3's touch screen works the ipod EXACTLY like the ipod, its by far the best Ive ever used! The bluetooth mic is up by the driver side visor and works pretty good, even with the soft top at 60mph.
I love how I can be jammin the ipod full blast, then when a call comes in, I just touch the screen to answer, the ipod pauses, I talk through the mic and listen through the
speakers (at the volume it was at during the last phone call I had), then when Im done I hang up and the ipod starts back up where it left off

The amp is mounted to the tailgate using self tapping screws, there is "aluminum looking" lamitated peice of plastic between the amp and tailgate, so thats what you see when looking through the heatsink of the amp. The trim panel is made of MDF, coated in fiberglass resign, sanded, bondo'ed and painted to match the Jeep.

The sub box I made out of 3/4" MDF and fiberglass to conform to the area under the back seat. It fits the floor of the Jeep like a glove and the seats just rest on top of it.
The box is completely fiberglassed inside and out and the subs are recessed into the top so they dont hit the bottoms of the seats.
I cant fold down the back seat anymore, but the box comes out in 5 minutes if I need to.

The nice part is that harldy anything is visible but the radio and I have all of my cargo space is still available in back
Im very impressed with how hard they kick while playing rock music and they hit nice and low for hip-hop, all types of music that I listen too sounds great.
Im an installer for a living and I wouldnt even know I was in a Jeep if I was blindfolded. You can feel the bass in the seat and it sounds like its up front in the dash!
The best part is, it has more bass with the soft top, then it does with the hard top, which means no top should sound good too

So needless to say Im very happy with it, but it did take me over a month to do everything, start to finish, working on it after hours.

Before you say it.....pics are coming right up, and I have MANY...

Update....I changed my amp configuration, I removed the two amps from under the seats that I had prior...
So now I installed a JL Audio 500/5 five channel amp on the tailgate with a custom trim piece to match the Jeep. The amp has 100w x2 for the front components, 25w x2 for the rear sound bar, and 250 x1 for the subs....this amp rocks the Jeep now, and looks bad ass!

Last edited by Eracer76; 12-14-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: changed the amp and added some pics
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some pics of the D3 and the painted bezel, vent rings, shifter trim piece, and I also did the gauge cluster to match......

Mid way through the bondo job.......then skipping ahead to the finished primer, ready for paint

The start-up screen......
My background picture....
You can do custom button colors, and screen menu colors to match, I choose green and red to match the gauges...

Last edited by Eracer76; 12-14-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New amp pics

Edited....(from the first post)
I removed the info and pics of the old amps under the seats, so nobody gets confused and thinks I have 3 amps in the Jeep
Anyway... here is the new replacement amp, a JL Audio 500/5 amp on the tailgate with a custom trim piece to match the Jeep.

Last edited by Eracer76; 08-30-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: New amp pics
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

And the box that took forever.....

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks kick ass, man. I like it alot! Great work and attention to detail. Only problem I would have is folding the seats. I do that on a pretty regular basis... still, it looks awesome. I bet it sounds awesome.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work!!!! Nice choice in amps BTW.....I miss my Son of Frank and matching 2240 and bass cube cometimes....

How did you do the front speakers? Did you do anything to the enclosures? I was thinking of filling mine with some polyfil and maybe a couple coats of deadener. How did you mount the JL mids?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real nice work! I'm Jealous!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Jedi

Very impressive!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys!
It took some time, but its definitely not my best work, Ive done many "show" systems for customers that were much better, but this is just my Jeep.
My main concerns were not taking up the rear cargo area, having everything hidden, and still sound good of course
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome work Eracer. You'll have all the girls wanting to ride in the back seat.

Quick Reply: My System is done....for now :)