Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My System is done....for now :)

Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i pay?

My local shop "Foss Auto" Told me they'd build it for: 150 Materials and 500 Labor. 650 BUCKS WOWZERS! These guys probably the best box builders around. Other places I've looked out look like shit or the customer services is shit. Too much? Comments concerns? Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Welcome!!!!

Good Afternoon,

I am taking the time to introduce myself as well as provide some information that it seems many of you will appreciate. I am new to the site and have have used this post to motivate me to sign up and write.

I currently own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for about a month now with 35" pro comp Extreme AT tires, 18" XD rockstar rims (black of course), 3" tera flex lift, smittybilt side steps, and Pioneer AVIC Z-110 navigation w/ rear view camera.

I was also currently in the process of figuring out sub and amp placement when I found this post.

These photos are an extreme help to me as I was in the process of creating the same subwoofer set up. I am also in the process of measuring the dimensions and creating a 3D image from PRO Engineer for people to reference.

I will keep you posted and provide pictures as soon as I can, it might be a few weeks as it takes some time.

Thanks and appreciate the wonderful site, especially for a 28 year old kid who LOVES his new JEEP!!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

box is currently being built, but instead of 10s they're going to fit 12s. Now just to get a good shallow mount 12s.

in the meantime while they are fitting it to my jeep. I will be driving this sexy red cavalier
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome job man! about how much would it cost for you to be willing to make another one?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

that is the cleanest sub and amp install I have seen on a JK.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

has anyone else tackled the pioneer custom dash install? I think it looks 100x better than the plastic kit but im not sure if i have the skills to pull it off. Id hate to ruin my dash. Any one try this since?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have never done it for my jeep mainly because I feel it is off balance from the rest of the car.
I am a symmetrical freak

but I have worked a few custom dash pieces for dodge rams so that you can put a 7" screen in them rather than the stock block with micky mouse ears. It is not very difficult and if you just play around with some bondo for 30 minutes before sticking it on your dash I'm sure you will do a fine job.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by H.I.I.K
I have never done it for my jeep mainly because I feel it is off balance from the rest of the car.
I am a symmetrical freak

but I have worked a few custom dash pieces for dodge rams so that you can put a 7" screen in them rather than the stock block with micky mouse ears. It is not very difficult and if you just play around with some bondo for 30 minutes before sticking it on your dash I'm sure you will do a fine job.
got any tips??? Heres what ive done so far and im a little nervous i might fuck up my dash lol. I Meausured the width of my screen and the width of the dash hole. Took the difference and divided by 2 ans thats my width then just measured the height. Cut out 2 plastic pieces that size glued them in and now about to start bondoing, my main concern is i have a silver jeep and im not sure what color to paint the dash since iits hard to find an exact match. I found a dark grey thats lighter than the current dash but darker than the sides of my whole dash if that all makes sense
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven4est
has anyone else tackled the pioneer custom dash install? I think it looks 100x better than the plastic kit but im not sure if i have the skills to pull it off. Id hate to ruin my dash. Any one try this since?
I put a double din in my TJ using the bondo method. It looked awesome for a long time, but after time the texas heat and the offroading I can't stay away from started to crack the fiberlglass mostly in the corners around the unit. The TJ factory stereo was much more wide than the double din and not near tall enough, so I had to cut the dash taller and then bondo inward on the sides much like he did above on the sides of his.

Make sure you rough up the plastic with sandpaper before you stick bondo on it really good. Clean it with tackrags too. IMO you need some bracing in there too behind the bondo, I use little pieces of wood glued into place. Good luck, take your time, and show us some pics!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my TJ double-din install after it started to crack. It took just over a year to go from perfect to cracked like this. Make sure you brace the bondo carefully. I am no pro... but I have done this before. First time I had it crack like that. Im not trying to scare or discourage you, just recommending you take your time.

Quick Reply: My System is done....for now :)