Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig nav going backwards....

Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig nav going backwards....

I thought I'd post this fix that I had difficulty finding with various search criteria. It is a combination of some other threads and info from MOFV.co m/mygig

The Setup: I have MyGig and Lockpick V2.5 with multi-media cables running two cameras (backup on jeep and on Camper). I've been having probs with Nav losing satellites ever since install. My searches came up with a known issue with lockpick 2.5, but I bought mine off Ebay, so I can't get help from coastaletech. I was getting between 0 and 2 satellites at all times. So I took everything back apart and really coiled and twist tied the wires making the install as clean and neat as possible ( the first time, i just stuffed it all back in) and this solved that prob. Now I get between 7 and 9 satellites at all times. BUT, now, when I have the trailer hooked up, the compass will sometimes point to SOUTH rather than NORTH. This causes the map to show you travelling backwards and when you are navigating to a waypoint, the nav keeps barking at you to do a U-turn or whatever, to get you back on track. Very annoying. So, this is the fix for THAT:

First, a disclaimer: Enter Engineering mode on your Mygig at your own risk, you can brick your Mygig if you do something wrong. There...

To enter Engineering Mode: Hit Menu, Seek-UP/Seek-Down all at same time....

Page down 4 or 5 times to the Nav Debug and select it...

you end up with an empty menu screen..they really hid the next menu good....

...you need to hit Page UP three times for a new selection to be available....it is called RESET CALIBRATION, or something close to that anyway...

Once you hit that, exit the menu and drive around on a main road for about 10 minutes,but make sure you have at least 4 satellites in view. Worked great for me!

Yoke
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

I've had that happen to me every now and then (probably once or twice every 4-6 months). Good to know that there's a proper way to do it. I've always just turned off the nav for a day, and let it reset itself overnight. Then again, it hasn't happened to me when I was counting on the nav, just when I was driving locally.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Leaving the battery disconnected overnight didn't work for me, I had thought it would .....that is what lead to researching this fix.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This issue has been resolved with the MyGig update 2.045. Resetting the GPS sensor in the engineering menu is a temporary fix and the issue will come back again.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96
This issue has been resolved with the MyGig update 2.045. Resetting the GPS sensor in the engineering menu is a temporary fix and the issue will come back again.
Aaahh, sorry to disagree but mine did it again just last Sunday when I was out on some back roads. I had installed the 2.045 a week before. Really dissapointing!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fathom
Aaahh, sorry to disagree but mine did it again just last Sunday when I was out on some back roads. I had installed the 2.045 a week before. Really dissapointing!
Reinstall the update again. Sometimes it does not catch on the first install. Since I have installed v1.120 I have never had the reverse drive issue return.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Reinstall the update again. Sometimes it does not catch on the first install. Since I have installed v1.120 I have never had the reverse drive issue return.
I think you are just lucky.

Well, here's an update after some time has passed: I now am up to v2.302, and I still get the compass swing/backwards nav issue, but only when my trailer cam is hooked up. I'm now leaning toward it being a wire shielding issue and when I get some time, I'll upgrade my power wire on the cameras, thinking that having them coiled behind the mygig, kinda creates a powered magnet effect, throwing the compass or internal gyro off. Also, the trailer cam is a l-o-n-g run of wire and that could mess with it too.

Good news is the nav debug works on the fly, so I can still get to where I'm going.

Yoke
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

We got our sylvansport home. It's better than I thought it was going to be! We have a trip that was already booked at some cabins on the west coast, but once we get back we are packing up the camper and we are gone! One really awesome part about the sylvansport, is it's so light we get pretty well the same gas milage as we did without towing it, and it can be stored in one of our garage bays.

Picking it up from Parkside RV. What a day. 9 hrs drive to get it.

Set up and testing everything out.

When not in use, it gets to live indoors!

The www.autismfamilytravels.com rig!

Quick Reply: MyGig nav going backwards....