Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig NAV is WAY OFF!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig NAV is WAY OFF!!!

Ok is it just me or is everybody's MyGig WAY OFF on its Navigation and Current location? Mine can be at times, miles off and in direction too...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

if its intermittently off, it may not be tracking satelites properly. may be antenna placement...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

no it doesn't turn off, it is not showing where I really am.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Either it's the maps or it's incorrectly reading your position. It's probably just the maps in the area.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_sahara07
Either it's the maps or it's incorrectly reading your position. It's probably just the maps in the area.
I believe that it is not properly locating my position. I am going back the same way home tonight so if it's a map issue the problem should occur again in the same area... I'll watch it. My dealer told me that I needed to calibrate it but there is nothing that I can find in the unit that shows a calibration mode...

Ben
Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it show you on a road, travelling and it's just the wrong road? Or does it show you kind of swaying from left to right and spinning a bit?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mygig works perfectly and the Nav takes me to the address exactly -

however, we have a major road in LA called Sepulveda Boulevard - and from Wilshire to the 405 freeway it does not show the road -

it's missing -
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

It shows me traveling all over the place... Off the road through other towns, wrong directions, turing circles or big loops, etc... It is NOT working correctly. I understand being a little off maybe not "on the road" but this thing is tracking me into different towns and others roads that I am not on.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine has done the same thing, but so far it seems that the only time that happens is when I start the Jeep and take off fast without letting the NAV system acquire the signal and its location. If I start the Jeep and turn on the radio and sit for about 30 seconds or a minute before driving off it has been very accurate.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a signal issue. GPS receivers will act incredibly erratic when they do not have a good lock and do pretty much exactly what you are describing. It might be something blocking the receiver, or the receiver could just be bad.

As far as roads not showing up, that will definitely happen on any GPSr. Some areas are much worse than others. There is a section of 14 near Mojave where my TomTom shows me offroading for a good few miles.... but I'm still on the highway. I wonder if Sepulveda is missing because of all the construction they did on the Wilshire exit...

And yes, it is harder to get a lock when moving. If you get a strong signal while stopped, you'll usually keep a better hold on it.

Quick Reply: MyGig NAV is WAY OFF!!!