Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Is mygig worth it

Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is mygig worth it

I love the idea of the mygig raido but when i read these threads it seems like its a pain in the rear. I ve read the screen gets lines and hard to read in the cold weather. And how does the screen look in sunlight ? How does dust effect it. How much map stuff is in it? Is the whole usa in it or is it only regions of the usa. I would like to hear from people that have one and their opinion of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

I haven't played with the aftermarket units so can't speak to them. I can say, I love the mygig with Nav. It is pretty cool.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used the mygig and the d3 and I installed a d3 in mine. So much better, if you can afford a z sieries get that.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

MyGig is AWESOME!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

I have to admit, I didn't really feel like forking over for it out of the factory.

Now, though, if I find a good deal I might consider it. When everything works, it looks like a pretty cool setup.

Too bad my Ipod has a bigger harddrive!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

I definately did not want to pay what the dealer was asking so I looked around and compared. Mygig was ideal its a plug and play. I purchased off Ebay for 750. With the aftermarket Navs just know you will be spending a few extra bucks for kits and installation(unless you have the ability) Mygig is worth every penny and yes it's loaded with all of the USA .
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4 WHEEL YETI
I ve read the screen gets lines and hard to read in the cold weather.
I've never had these problems. Of course, I live in the south, so the winter temps only get in the 30's for short periods, but I've had no differences hot or cold.

And how does the screen look in sunlight ?
I've had no problems with the sun (top on or off). And the settings are adjustable so it's not too bright at night, etc!

How does dust effect it.
I use some Electronics Cleaner Wipes (Target) to remove dust and fingerprints. No problems. In fact there are less cracks and crevises than on the radio in my wifes Cherokee...

How much map stuff is in it?
I've kept the latest software upgrades in mine (mofv.com/mygig), and the addition of trail / unmapped "recording" has been a nice addition.
Also, there are points of interest (gas stations, ATM's, etc).
Basically, enough belles and whistles to keep you busy...

Is the whole USA in it or is it only regions of the USA.
It has the "whole USA", however, it's only as good as it's map software. There are roads that aren't in there, or have been changed and the map shows the older roads, but that's not often. It's impressive, as I'm sure all the GPS devises are.

I don't think map upgrades are available yet. But will be soon, although they don't seem cheap for any unit!!

I would like to hear from people that have one and their opinion of it.
Over all, I love my MyGIG! I have/had some issues with the satellite antenna, but I'm still a fan of the MyGIG!

I think that the numbers of units need to be involved in your critical thinking. The reason you see so many issues, is that there are so many MyGIG's, and as a general Blog rule; if your happy with your product, you tend to not leave glory postings. Therefore the trouble issues seem more prevelant than they really are...

Bottom line, I know folks with factory and aftermarket, and all seem happy. So I don't think you can go wrong...

Hope that helps!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm very happy with the mygig system. The stereo w/ the Hard Drive is awesome, and the nav works well too.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just remember that you usually hear about problems on these forums more than positives. MyGig has been fantastic with all the computor features and navigation info, USA and Canada. The sound is more than adequate. No problems here but I have kept it updated, now at software version 9.715. My unit is a 2007 version but with the software upgrades and a $20 microphone I now have voice command controls and U-Connect for my cellphone. Great safety feature to have hands free calling when driving. I would buy again in a second!! I also prefer to have oem parts when available.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

i love it.. nav works awesome lock pick worked even better.. clear screen nav is right on... no complaints from me

Quick Reply: Is mygig worth it