Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Advice: Factory Optioned for PW/PL, Used Doors Installed

Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Factory Optioned for PW/PL, Used Doors Installed

I bought a 2008 this past weekend. There are a few issues since it was rolled back in 2013. I have a fix for everything else, and this one wasn't going to bother me but I should probably lock it every now and then.

It's optioned for power windows and locks with keyless entry. The doors were replaced with ones from a manual JK. Best I can tell, I could spend $1000 and get a set of doors from car-part and be done, or get advice from you guys on how to go about getting my keys and remote on the same page. I think AAA will re-key the doors for cheap or free.

Ideally I would find new doors for somewhere within a couple hundred of an even trade, but I'm realistic in finding a salvage yard that would trade.

What do you think is the best way to proceed?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start looking for doors with power locks and windows in them, and sell the manual ones (or trade the junk yard). The original wiring harness will be there if the Jeep came with keyless entry. The doors you buy will simply plug into the harness on your JK and you'll get your keyless entry back as long as your remote works with your security system. Then have the locks re-keyed in case your battery dies in your remote or Jeep. If you do not get the locks re-keyed, you can still get in through the tailgate (assuming that hasn't been replaced).

You could try to retrofit power windows and door lock actuators, but I haven't taken apart my door panel so I do not know how hard it would be.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Factory Optioned for PW/PL, Used Doors Installed