Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need program key and only have one

Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need program key and only have one

Just bought a 2009 X and it only came with one key. I've searched the forums for how to program replacement key with no luck. Trying to stay away from dealer so if anyone knows best key to buy and a method to program that works let me know.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I bought my keys from eBay, had home depot cut them for free, then did my own programming. You've got one key so the last step isn't going to be an option for you. Maybe wherever you bought the jeep from will offer to cover the cost of a second key as that's fairly standard when buying a car, to get at least two keys.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I was talking to the locksmith the last time I had a key cut. He mentioned that he could program it with the VIN and a phone call. Didn't ask about it further since I had already programmed that key, but may be worth a few calls to see if that is accurate and cheaper than the dealership.

If true, I'm not sure how much I like the idea of any joe-blow locksmith having direct access to keys and codes for my jeep.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Maybe wherever you bought the jeep from will offer to cover the cost of a second key as that's fairly standard when buying a car, to get at least two keys.
Gunna try this route, my salesman promised he would attempt to get key from previous owner or get the shop to cut me a deal. Wrangler was purchased from a Jeep dealer.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Hopefully they help you out. For a different vehicle that I purchased with only one key, I had bought a couple extra "chipped" keys/fobs on eBay. I then went down to a locksmith and tried to have them cut and programmed. I learned a bit that day. Locksmith asked where I bought the keys and I told him eBay. He got a little scanner out probed the key. I asked what he was doing and he said he was both checking the location of the chip, and also the strength of signal. He chuckled and said it actually looked better than some of the stock they get themselves. If I recall, it was gonna cost like $60/key to have programmed with his machine. After a lot of trying, and digging out a computer and crap to try another programming method, he could never succeed in getting the car to accept those chipped keys. I wouldn't say you can't have luck buying a key on eBay and having it programmed, but it's definitely a bit more of a gamble as any eBay purchase is.

Dealer should definitely provide you with two keys, even on a used vehicle.....or that should be part of the bargaining at purchase. Also, if you have 2 keys, good practice to pick up a 3rd one while you have 2 programmed keys already, making the process much easier for the 3rd rather than chancing losing a key and being stuck again with locksmith route.
The following users liked this post:
DaButcher (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some Ace Hardware stores have the new Duracell OEM keys and the programmer that plugs into the ODB port. Normally it's half of the cost of the dealer pricing. I am an Ace store owner and I am looking into the new key capability.
The following users liked this post:
DaButcher (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001

Dealer should definitely provide you with two keys, even on a used vehicle.....or that should be part of the bargaining at purchase. Also, if you have 2 keys, good practice to pick up a 3rd one while you have 2 programmed keys already, making the process much easier for the 3rd rather than chancing losing a key and being stuck again with locksmith route.
Keys never crossed my mind until after purchase when saleskid handed me "the key". Thanks for the advise on the locksmith route, I will skip that.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cobra Gt
Some Ace Hardware stores have the new Duracell OEM keys and the programmer that plugs into the ODB port. Normally it's half of the cost of the dealer pricing. I am an Ace store owner and I am looking into the new key capability.
Awesome, if the dealer balks I'll check Ace!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by DaButcher
Keys never crossed my mind until after purchase when saleskid handed me "the key". Thanks for the advise on the locksmith route, I will skip that.
I might not have been clear in my rambling. I'd be ok buying a key from a locksmith and having them program it, I just wouldn't try to cheap out taking them an ebay key to do again as there is no recourse if the key doesn't work out. At least if you buy one from them and they program it, they stand behind that key. I ended up buying a simple chipped key from them, which they programmed, and then used the fob I had from the eBay key for the remote functions.

Anyhow, hopefully you get things sorted out.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny story.
My Dobermann decided to use one of my keys for a chew toy when we were at a funeral one day.
I checked my dog camera while at the gathering after the funeral, and Gabby was up on the back of one of our living room chairs barking, and howling like a wolf. I could hear an intermittent noise in the background, sounded like a vehicle horn, haha, so we ran home.
Turns out, Gabby had grabbed my key, and her tooth pushed in the panic alarm and would not release.

Our local locksmith sold us a replacement key for 80 bucks(probably Chinese), cut and programmed it with this little computer he had that plugged into the OBD port. I questioned him about needing 2 original keys, but this thing brought up the two stock/original keys, erased the destroyed key code from the vehicle computer, and installed the new one.

Quick Reply: Need program key and only have one