Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Newbie question for Adding 12 volt outlet

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question for Adding 12 volt outlet

This forum is amazing. Just purchased an '09 auto rubi 4 door. I've been reading at least six pages of posts per night trying to absorb some of the amazing knowledge present in this forum. You guys rock (pun intended).

Anyway, I'm thinking of wiring an extra 12 volt outlet into the thick angled inside portion of the rear swing gate. I think I can fit one just above the plastic vent and run the wires through the existing third brake light harness/door retention strap. Anyone tried something like this? I don't have a lot of experience with electrical stuff. Can I run it straight to the battery? If I do so will it constantly drain power or will it only drain when an accessory is plugged in?

Thanks for the help and again...amazing forum!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been wanting to do this as well. I'm sure you can find something in a 4x4 rag or on line.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by spartan99
I've been wanting to do this as well. I'm sure you can find something in a 4x4 rag or on line.
I know Tuffy makes a good plug and I've seen some others at the local auto store. I will probably give it a shot soon and post some pictures.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Can I run it straight to the battery? If I do so will it constantly drain power or will it only drain when an accessory is plugged in?
Yes you can and no it should not drain the battery. You could always wire it so it only gets power when the ignition is on.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Yes you can and no it should not drain the battery. You could always wire it so it only gets power when the ignition is on.
Thanks. I thought about doing that or perhaps wiring it to a toggle or rocker so I could choose when I want it to be hot. I've got young kids that like to stuff things where they don't belong. The only problem with tying to the ignition is I may want the plug hot when I don't want the keys in the JK (like to run a cooler to keep food and drinks cold while I'm riding my quad.)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
JK Newbie

Pluggin in a cooler is great just don't forget to start er up everyonce in awhile. I made the mistake once, forgot I had the cooler running and came back to a dead battery.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get an Odyssey PC-1500DT, it won't drain quite as fast, it's a superior battery and you can run it down and recharge it 400 times.
Mine was 3 months old in my TJ when I traded it on my JK, and the dealer looked at me like I was nuts when I said I wanted it transferred to the rubi, and they could have the rubi's battery for the TJ.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power inverters

You may want to google power inverters to see what is out there. They provide low to high watts depending on what you want to run. Some new ones also come with USB ports to charge ipods etc. Seems safer to get one of these then to have the outlet separate from the inverter. They make one that plugs into your dc power outlet also.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whether or not you install it inside /outside, you should get the pwr socket with the included seal cover (radio shack)

Ground to body, close to the install point then you can run the (red) wire, to the Battery-forget ignition

Put an inline 10 amp fuse, close to the battery ( Kragen,Peps,carquest)

The 10 amp, inline fuse is almost redundant, becaus all pwr outlets PLUGS have a 5/10 amp fuse inside, but better safe than sorry

Good luck

JIMBO
Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might consider mounting the 12V outlet on the rear subwoofer box casing. It's pretty much empty in there. That way your dont have to run wires to the tailgate and you might avoid a pinched wire down the road.

Quick Reply: Newbie question for Adding 12 volt outlet