Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

occasional "honk" when unlocking using the fob-key

Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beanieson
i just posted this in another thread, and then immediately found this topic.
I responded on your thread as well...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah ive had it happen twice....it was crazy....my music was blasting when i unlocked door from 30 feet away, def got some interesting looks from others in that parking lot haha, not sure why or how this happened....i believe it has happened twice to me.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly enough, I had a 97 Cherokee that for whatever reason would sometimes not honk when I locked it. Without changing the settings on the fob, through the next key cycle (i.e. get in car, drive somewhere, park, lock again) it would then honk again like normal. I would even sometimes play with the fob using the hold down lock/unlock to trigger the horn and it wouldn't honk! Then, get back in the car, start it up, shut it off, and it would then work normally. It would only do it every once in a while, maybe every 75-100 key cycles. But it was a strange problem nonetheless! My JK has done the honk when unlocking thing once. Maybe it's just a bug in the software. It's a Jeep thing ... !
Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhutch
Mine does this every now and then as well.
Also, when I lock it, sometimes it makes a full honk & sometimes makes a sad little half honk... :confused:
mine did the "half honk" for a while after i had taken a plunge in a river :toung:
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours does the same thing, horm honks when you unlock it. Very random. Happens with both keys fobs. I am also having an issue with one of the key fobs. Have had the JK since Feb. and I've had to change the battery in the fob THREE times already. Going to the dealership this morning so they can give me a new fob and try to check the alarm honk thingy!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default still honking (occasionally)...

I keep trying to find a pattern, but its so random...
No explanation yet, but I'll keep trying.

Quick Reply: occasional "honk" when unlocking using the fob-key