Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OD Button Replacement Switch

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OD Button Replacement Switch

So my OD button is permanently stuck due to some dirt and stuff getting in there. I would take it to the dealership to have it replaced, but I know it will just get stuck again in no time.
My question is, can I put some kind of rocker switch in its place? Or is it a push-button type for a reason? ie, it needs to be able to turn on and off with the ignition, or it cant stay off all the time without screwing with the computer? I can put another push-button type on there I suppose, as long as its water proof...

Thanks,
Matt

PS - 21 days till FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've read the thread about the OD off default wiring scheme, but I'm incapable of that degree of wiring things. I just want to know if it would be detrimental to the Jeep to simply replace the type of switch used in the stock position.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes its a momentary push button. its reset every time you start the jeep. you could replace it
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi

You could wire up a toggle switch to it. You could put a relay on the toggle so if the toggle is on then the key is turned on the relay will kick on and turn the OD off. Then if you hit the switch it would turn the OD on. That way you could leave the switch in the postion you like (either OD on or off) and everytime you started your Jeep the OD would already be how you want it. But you could still turn it off.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
You could wire up a toggle switch to it. You could put a relay on the toggle so if the toggle is on then the key is turned on the relay will kick on and turn the OD off. Then if you hit the switch it would turn the OD on. That way you could leave the switch in the postion you like (either OD on or off) and everytime you started your Jeep the OD would already be how you want it. But you could still turn it off.
WHat would happen if I just put on a toggle switch without the relay? Would I just switch it back and forth every time I get in the Jeep? I'm not sure what to look for in a relay, and wouldnt know how to install it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
WHat would happen if I just put on a toggle switch without the relay? Would I just switch it back and forth every time I get in the Jeep? I'm not sure what to look for in a relay, and wouldnt know how to install it.
yes......................
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

if you did not use a relay you would have to flip the switch everytime just like you do now. If you are going to do that just get a momentary push button, or monetary toggle and put it on your dash where dirt is not a factor. If you want it to turn the OD off everytime you start the Jeep, you would have to get a relay on it.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok cool, thanks for the help. I'll just get a toggle. I dont mind hitting the switch every time since I dont want to forget that its off when I get on the highway or something. I got used to turning the traction control off every time when I had my Cobra, so this wont bother me...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi

Ok cool, thanks for the help. I'll just get a toggle. I dont mind hitting the switch every time since I dont want to forget that its off when I get on the highway or something. I got used to turning the traction control off every time when I had my Cobra, so this wont bother me...
thats cool. I thought for some reason you wanted to run with it off all the time. If I was you, I would just get a momentary switch then.

Quick Reply: OD Button Replacement Switch