Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM Fogs

Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Fogs

I think we all agree that the OEM fogs are not great and the headlamps leave much to be desired. High beams are useless. After installing Hella driving lights and wiring them to turn on when I turn on the fogs, I was toying with the idea to be able to turn on the Hellas alone OR when I turn on the fogs. But as usual I'm maybe making the lighting thing too complicated. My question for any stock light users is;

Do you find the OEM fogs useful at all?

Do you use them?

When? Rain? Snow? Fog?

Do your high beams provide the right light?

Are you low beams satisfactory?

I know Daniel Stern and at least one other aux light kit maker are out there or soon will be, but frankly I don't want to spend another 2,3 or 4 hundred dollars to add the correct lighting to my unlifted daily driver. Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the stock headlamps are not great - because of this I always turn on the fogs when I turn on my headlamps. It seems to be th only way I am able to see much. I've been toying with the idea of getting some SilverStars to try and get a little upgrade for a little cash.

Interested to see what others are doing.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put in Silverstars on my 09 and they helped a bit, eventually i would like to go HID but currently don't want to spend the money on the conversion. Also Pep Boys is running a $10 mail in rebate on them lowering the price for 2 to $30.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the heads up on the savings - I may have to pick some up. I'm not sure I want to spend a ton on the conversion either.

Glad to hear they helped a little - some is better than none!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Do you find the OEM fogs useful at all? Yes Very

Do you use them? All the time

When? Rain? Snow? Fog? Both and night driving, basicly whenever the low beams are on

Do your high beams provide the right light? There not that great

Are you low beams satisfactory? There alright

I was up on a mountain and if it wernt for the fogs i wouldnt have gotten down. The fog was so thick you couldnt see five feet infrony of you. all the lowbeams did was glare. We ended up driving 16 miles down the mountain with just fogs.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I think we all agree that the OEM fogs are not great and the headlamps leave much to be desired. High beams are useless. After installing Hella driving lights and wiring them to turn on when I turn on the fogs, I was toying with the idea to be able to turn on the Hellas alone OR when I turn on the fogs. But as usual I'm maybe making the lighting thing too complicated. My question for any stock light users is;

Do you find the OEM fogs useful at all?

Do you use them?

When? Rain? Snow? Fog?

Do your high beams provide the right light?

Are you low beams satisfactory?

I know Daniel Stern and at least one other aux light kit maker are out there or soon will be, but frankly I don't want to spend another 2,3 or 4 hundred dollars to add the correct lighting to my unlifted daily driver. Merry Christmas
No, we don't all agree. I think I'm one of the very few that feel the OEM setup is more than adequate. I've never had a single issue with lighting when it comes to the OEM setup, and when I need more light that's what I have my IPF and KC's for.

Regarding your questions though, I use the fog lights during bad weather only and they work well for me.

Honestly, once my OEM headlights were properly aimed, they work great. Before they were aimed they were very weak/useless as you say and aimed too high which made me get flashed a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I upgraded to Phillips, whatever their high output lamps are. They are quite a bit better than stock bulbs but In my opinion and evidently others, it's the headlamp assenbly that is at fault, not just the lamps. Be careful with just HID in the stock lamp housing, the word on the forum is that you'll get terrible glare and no real improvement. Thanks for the comments. I think I'll leave my Hellas wired the way they are...on with fogs, off with high beam and when fogs off.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cwargo
I agree the stock headlamps are not great - because of this I always turn on the fogs when I turn on my headlamps. It seems to be th only way I am able to see much. I've been toying with the idea of getting some SilverStars to try and get a little upgrade for a little cash.

Interested to see what others are doing.
+ 1

I have been kicking around the idea of going with a Daniel Stern solution. Just haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

Quick Reply: OEM Fogs