Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

OEM Intergration module for radio

Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Intergration module for radio

I have a X model with the standard radio. I want to add an external amp and upgrade the existing speakers and add a subwoofer. The wiring harness is not yet available that would allow me to replace the HU. Wouldn't something like an OEM Intergration module allow me to connect between the radio and external amp? See www.audiocontrol.com, OEM Intergration. Something like the LC6i. This way, I could keep the stock HU and still improve the overall sound.

Will that work?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeware
I have a X model with the standard radio. I want to add an external amp and upgrade the existing speakers and add a subwoofer. The wiring harness is not yet available that would allow me to replace the HU. Wouldn't something like an OEM Intergration module allow me to connect between the radio and external amp? See www.audiocontrol.com, OEM Intergration. Something like the LC6i. This way, I could keep the stock HU and still improve the overall sound.

Will that work?
Unless its canbus compatable, which I doubt. If you ask me, that looks like a total waste of money. If you're going to upgrade the speakers and add a sub/amp, you'd be silly to not just upgrade the HU. You don't have to go all out. A simple Alpine or pick your favorite brand CD player will run you under 200, and give you much better preamp outputs, rather than line level oem crapness.

if you're that deadset on keeping the HU, just contact your local dealer and have them upgrade you to the infinity system...because if you're happy with the stock HU, you should be happy with the infinity system.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm not deadset on keeping the HU. In fact, I had planned to replace it, but the wiring harness is not yet available. I don't want to cut/splice the factory wiriing, so I thought this oem intergration module might work.

Maybe I should wait on the harness.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeware
Thanks for the reply. I'm not deadset on keeping the HU. In fact, I had planned to replace it, but the wiring harness is not yet available. I don't want to cut/splice the factory wiriing, so I thought this oem intergration module might work.

Maybe I should wait on the harness.
I would, it sounds like it might be any day now. I'm sure you'll see us talking about it when it becomes available. As far as the security aspect, most of the HU's that people are looking to install have either a detachable face or are so large that they are no small job to rip. The AVN7000 which I'm looking at, you can remove the bottom portion of the face, which renders it pretty useless - plus it uses a memory stick to unlock the unit after power loss. Pretty much makes it worthless to steal.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

I guess everyone has an opinion...
and mine is... yes, you can keep the OEM stereo and use an interface that can sound as good or better than an aftermarket 'hu'. I will be using the JL Audio Cleansweep. Read reviews from trusted audio professionals about this product and others like it before you make 'your decision'.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

ksjeep,
Did you end up going this route? Also, do we also need the signal summing interface, or just the cleansweep DSP.
Steve
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Stereo integration OEM

To integrate an AMP with your OEM stereo, you'll need either an amp with "Line Level Inputs" and you'll just run your HU right into the amp, OR you need to get a "Line Level Converter". That has 2 RCA outputs that will run front and rear speakers to an amp that doesn't have line level inputs. Crutchfield has them, made by Scosche (run you about 30 bucks)

Quick Reply: OEM Intergration module for radio