Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Painless Cirkit Boss

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painless Cirkit Boss

I'm running the Cirkit Boss with has a self-resetting circuit breaker, but when I run my roof lights, pillar lights and rear lights it trips.

All the lights have in-line 40a relays.

If I pull the cirkit boss and just run a seperate aux fuse block without a circuit breaker, would I be able to run all these accessories without cause any major issues (other than battery drain)? Concerned more about fires, shorts, etc.

Anyone know if Painless makes a version of the Cirkit Boss without the circuit breaker?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
I'm running the Cirkit Boss with has a self-resetting circuit breaker, but when I run my roof lights, pillar lights and rear lights it trips.

All the lights have in-line 40a relays.

If I pull the cirkit boss and just run a seperate aux fuse block without a circuit breaker, would I be able to run all these accessories without cause any major issues (other than battery drain)? Concerned more about fires, shorts, etc.

Anyone know if Painless makes a version of the Cirkit Boss without the circuit breaker?
The 40 a relays do not have anything to do with protecting the circuit. You need to compare the total load of the lights to the amperage rating on the fuse. The circuit breaker tripping is probably keeping you from burning up the battery lead.

The primary fuse is needed to protect the buss of the distribution block. Then you should have individual fuses to protect each circuit.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-07-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You need to compare the total load of the lights to the amperage rating on the fuse. The circuit breaker tripping is probably keeping you from burning up the battery lead.

The primary fuse is needed to protect the buss of the distribution block. Then you should have individual fuses to protect each circuit.
You're correct, the block itself is fused and each individual circuit is also fused (20a). The total amperage going thru the block isn't blowing individual circuit fuses, it's tripping the circuit breaker between the battery and the fuse block.

Here is the part that I'm currently running: Painless 70207
h t t p://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=70207

The safe way to add electrical accessories to any vehicle is with a CirKit Boss®™. The first circuit isolator system available with both constant and ignition hot circuit kits. Kits include an in-line circuit breaker, relay, relay/fuse block base with preterminated harness and mounting hardware and terminals. Protects your OEM warranty and is easy to install.

70207- Provides three 20 Amp constant hot and four ignition hot circuits with a maximum total amperage handling of 40 Amps.

This kit includes:

One weatherproof 40 Amp SPST relay
One weatherproof 50 Amp circuit breaker
Weatherproof relay base/fuse block with harness
Weatherproof crimp-on heat-shrinkable terminals
Weatherproof fuse block cover
Mounting hardware

So, to answer my own question (haha), the problem is when I run my (6) 55w lights and (2) 130w lights together, I equal 590w/12v = 49.16a...so I trip the circuit breaker because the 49a load overwhelms the 40a SPST relay for the aux block.

Guess it's either time to upgrade to the 70a rated aux block, or upgrade to LED lights...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
You're correct, the block itself is fused and each individual circuit is also fused (20a). The total amperage going thru the block isn't blowing individual circuit fuses, it's tripping the circuit breaker between the battery and the fuse block.

Here is the part that I'm currently running: Painless 70207
h t t p://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=70207

The safe way to add electrical accessories to any vehicle is with a CirKit Boss®™. The first circuit isolator system available with both constant and ignition hot circuit kits. Kits include an in-line circuit breaker, relay, relay/fuse block base with preterminated harness and mounting hardware and terminals. Protects your OEM warranty and is easy to install.

70207- Provides three 20 Amp constant hot and four ignition hot circuits with a maximum total amperage handling of 40 Amps.

This kit includes:

One weatherproof 40 Amp SPST relay
One weatherproof 50 Amp circuit breaker
Weatherproof relay base/fuse block with harness
Weatherproof crimp-on heat-shrinkable terminals
Weatherproof fuse block cover
Mounting hardware

So, to answer my own question (haha), the problem is when I run my (6) 55w lights and (2) 130w lights together, I equal 590w/12v = 49.16a...so I trip the circuit breaker because the 49a load overwhelms the 40a SPST relay for the aux block.

Guess it's either time to upgrade to the 70a rated aux block, or upgrade to LED lights...
Uh, I'm glad that you finally realized how to answer your own question.

The safe way to add electrical accessories to any vehicle is with a CirKit Boss®™
Yes I agree, Well unless you consult a real electrician.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Uh, I'm glad that you finally realized how to answer your own question.

Yes I agree, Well unless you consult a real electrician.
Yeah, I didn't really think it through before I posted.

and the whole "safe way" BS came from their site...

Good product, just think I need to upgrade mine, or change my light config up

Quick Reply: Painless Cirkit Boss