Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

PIAA wiring harness questions

Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PIAA wiring harness questions

I just want to start off with the clarification that I am an electrical noob. I have a vague understanding of how electrical systems work, but I have to emphasize "vague understanding."

I want to hook up two pairs of PIAA 2192 lights to my roof rack light bar. The lights come with their own wiring harnesses. So since I have two pairs of lights I will have 2 PIAA wiring harnesses.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIAA wiring..JPG
Views:	103
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	72455

I have two questions.

First question. I would like to install the lights on the side marker light positive lead. I saw this on WOL IPF light install step 21.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...up-and-testing

Beyond the legal consequences in some states, what are the advantages of this set up over the high beam connection? The high beam connection is shown in the mopar aux light installation.
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75754.pdf

The two advantages that I see is that with the side marker light connection I don't have to pull off my front grill to get the headlight. I think I can get to the side marker light by working under my jeep a bit. The second adavantage is that I can use my new lights whenever I have any lights on, not just the high beams.

Second question. When I tap into the positive lead of the marker light or high beam, can I put both PIAA wiring harness on that same lead? ( I don't know if there is some power draw that effects anything. This is my vague electrical knowledge showing up). By the same reasoning can I just tap one wiring harness into the marker or high beam wire then connect the other wiring harness into the already tapped in first harness? I am asking that because it may be cleaner looking not to have two taps right next to each other.

Quick Reply: PIAA wiring harness questions