Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pioneer AVIC-F700BT questions

Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-F700BT questions

I'm looking at getting one of these since you can find one on Amazon for like $360.

I do have a question or two. If you get the bypass kits online, will you be able to play DVD's? The specs say it will do DVD playback, but not DVD-RW playback. Does that mean it will play retail dvd's, but not downloaded stuff?

Also, has anyone had any negative problems with the newer ones with updates? Anything to be weary of?

I'd like a MyGig with Nav, but cant justify the extra $500 or $600 over this AVIC for only getting a hard drive...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at sonic electronix . com they have some good deals. If you are willing to spend a little more you can get a unit with more features.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

hey ive got the f900bt and i love it. i thought that the f700bt didnt play dvd's and the f900bt did. anyway mine does play dvd's whislt on the move and its pretty cool.
as far as updates, when i first got the unit it took an age to startup, but then i updated it and it still takes a while but not nearly as long.
got any other questions just ask and if i dont reply send a PM
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
hey ive got the f900bt and i love it. i thought that the f700bt didnt play dvd's and the f900bt did. anyway mine does play dvd's whislt on the move and its pretty cool.
as far as updates, when i first got the unit it took an age to startup, but then i updated it and it still takes a while but not nearly as long.
got any other questions just ask and if i dont reply send a PM
Ok maybe I misread about the DVD playback. So the only difference between them is that the 900 plays dvds? Did you have to get one of those bypass things to be able to play movies on the move?

So for what I'm looking at, I guess I could get either a Mygig with Nav, or a 900bt for around the same price...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

as far as im aware that is the only difference between 700 and 900.
as far as i can remember the unit didnot have a bypass fitted. i think it just played dvds on the move but not 100% sure. u might want to search other forums for that info.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the AVH-P3100DVD and it works great. I brought the harness to a stereo shop and they wired up a relay to it and the DVD works while in motion. The relay just fools the stereo into thinking the E-brake is up. I would check at a local stereo shop first before spending the extra money on a bypass kit.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skaggs9573
I've got the AVH-P3100DVD and it works great. I brought the harness to a stereo shop and they wired up a relay to it and the DVD works while in motion. The relay just fools the stereo into thinking the E-brake is up. I would check at a local stereo shop first before spending the extra money on a bypass kit.
Does this Kenwood do all of the features of the Mygig or Avic? I'm looking at it now online, and its pretty cheap.

I'm just looking for Navi, Dvd playback while driving, and bluetooth for my phone. A hard drive would be nice, but I have a first gen iPod my wife gave me when she got a new one. If not, i'll put all my songs on a thumb drive and plug that in...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD has a USB port and you can plug in your Ipod and control it from the touch screen, but no hard drive. You can always put your music files on a DVD, it holds alot more than a standard CD. I picked mine up from a local stereo shop for $350.00 with the dash install and metra harness.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got a F700BT on Amazon for $395. I was able to use my Amex points for the install kit and harnesses I need, so I came out pretty cheaply to get Nav, Bluetooth, video, etc... We'll see how it goes!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just got my F700BT installed last night, and DAMN that was a pain in the neck... It took me about 7 hours to get it all done... Although that includes frequent smoke and beer breaks, and dinner, but it still took forever. Even after I trimmed the bracket to let it fit, I still had to cram all those wires behind the unit to make it fit. I just hope it doesnt over heat or anything. Its cool as hell though! There is a simple bypass you can do with the wires to let you watch dvd and use navi in motion too. Now I just have to figure out all the controls and such...

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT questions