Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Please critique my stereo upgrade plan. 2012 JK Sport

Old 08-03-2016, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
So no I haven't listened to any speakers...we used to have a couple of good shops here but they have all gone away. I think maybe the one is still in business but they are VERY small now. I was going Polk based on my past (way past) experience with them. Yeah the MMs are a big jump in price though looks like they are on sale currently. While I want a good upgrade to my sound I'm not going to go too crazy. Really capping the entire system at $2k.

It is nice that VW has finally announced the dollar figures I will be getting for my Jetta TDI this fall. I will have $5,100 that I'm going to split between this stereo and a large lump payment.
Do your research qith places like sonic electronic or Crutchfield. You can find out all your info in one place. Also suggests additional things you will need to support items u intend to purchase. They have plenty of wireing diagrams too if you are super new or its been awhile. I would use amazon for the most part I have found that they had some of the best prices since they pull from different vendors. DROP YOUR DOUGH into your headunit and speakers. U can easy find some sick set ups for under 1k right there. I am running pioneer 4100 NEX. Pretty smooth operation and desently priced. I think with a 2k budget u will have a pretty nice ride.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Well I finally got around to photographing my seat rails for Matt and it turns out his sub box will not work with my seats. So is the JL Stealth the next best option? Honestly it's not much more than a single one of Matt's boxes...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I finally got around to photographing my seat rails for Matt and it turns out his sub box will not work with my seats. So is the JL Stealth the next best option? Honestly it's not much more than a single one of Matt's boxes...
Sorry G-chopper, if there were someone close to Omaha, NE with a 2 dr, I'd be happy to build an enclosure for one so I could offer it to other members too. Those slide and tilt seats have a lot less space but I think I could figure something out.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Grasschopper inspired me. Molded a rear mounted sub that will work in a two door. Trying to decide between 2 8" or a single 10". It's measuring out to about .5 cu ft and 4.5" deep so can end up being pretty flush to the floor. Still going through options...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2519432508.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	654496
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Ok phases 1 and 2 of this project are complete and the upgrade is nice thus far. So rather than an Alpine HU I went for a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS unit. For speakers I did go with the Polk MM6501 in the front and the DB652 rears. Currently running the speakers off of the HU and yes I understand that this is sub optimal. Once I have the sub box I will get the Alpine amp and properly amplify everything.

Funds have been sent to Matt for the custom JL clone sub box so it and the amp are the next steps. Not 100% looking forward to all of the rewiring that the amp installation requires...but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Ok phases 1 and 2 of this project are complete and the upgrade is nice thus far. So rather than an Alpine HU I went for a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS unit. For speakers I did go with the Polk MM6501 in the front and the DB652 rears. Currently running the speakers off of the HU and yes I understand that this is sub optimal. Once I have the sub box I will get the Alpine amp and properly amplify everything. Funds have been sent to Matt for the custom JL clone sub box so it and the amp are the next steps. Not 100% looking forward to all of the rewiring that the amp installation requires...but I'm sure it will be worth it.
It's not so bad adding the amp, but it will take time and pre-planning. Give yourself enough time, test fit locations for the amp and be sure you can run all the cables properly. The improvements from an amp and sub are completely worth it.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 AM
Former Vendor

... For speakers I did go with the Polk MM6501 in the front...
How did the MM6501 fit?

I recently sent a set to a customer who told me they wouldn't fit in the dash speaker locations.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CRAWLTUNES
How did the MM6501 fit?

I recently sent a set to a customer who told me they wouldn't fit in the dash speaker locations.
We talking Tweeters or Woofers? The Woofers fit just fine. No issues there. The Tweeters are too big to fit in the factory mounts. I used the surface mount and glued it to the face of the tweeter pod. Looks pretty good but it's obviously not factory. You could dremel the factory mount a bit and maybe fit the flush mount but I didn't want to go through with that and then find that I didn't have the depth.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Well this looks amazing. Hoping it sounds as good as it looks.

Name:	o8X3UiO.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	659416

Name:	9OFF6vp.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	659417

Quick Reply: Please critique my stereo upgrade plan. 2012 JK Sport