Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about factory tweeters

Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about factory tweeters

How are these interfaced to the factory stereo? Are they in parallel or series with the front 6.5" speakers, or do they have a crossover network between the speakers and the stereo?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

They have there own power 2ohms they only have a cap on them no network
I replaced mine my with Infinity Kappa's same 2 ohms with their own network and they sound great
Old 11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

If I replace the head unit, will the factory tweaters till fucntion then?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey SC rubi. I see where you said you replaced your factory tweets with the Kappas. Is it a real noticable differance. My factory system sounds awesome for the most part but I just wish the highs were alot better. Did you amplify the new tweets or was it just a straight forward switch out
Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

The housing will require a little mod with a demel or a small file
I'm using the factory amp sounds great I have the highs set flat now, and all the detail is there now
Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tweeter channels of the amp are not full range outputs, actually none of the amps channels are full range, it has built in networks for all the speakers.
Ive tested all the outputs of the amp separately, back when I added an aftermarket amp
Now I have nothing stock in my Jeep at all anymore
Old 11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks SC rubi, That was the single complaint that I have with my new jeep was the High range. Based on your reccomendations, I am ordering tonight.
Oh also.... the new tweeters come with new crosovers did you omit the new xovers or put them under the dash somewhere?

Last edited by Rescue Bean; 11-25-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rescue Bean
Thanks SC rubi, That was the single complaint that I have with my new jeep was the Hig range. Based on your reccomendations, I am ordering tonight.
Oh also.... the new tweeters come with new crosovers did you omit the new xovers or put them under the dash somewhere?
If your still going to use the factory amp and just replace the tweeters, I'd still use the xovers that came with your new tweeters.
Even though the amp isnt full range, the stock tweeters still have caps on the tweeters themselves to help cut-off some lower frequencies.
So more then likely the amps cut-off frequency isnt right for your new tweeters, which would damage them, unless you use the supplied xovers.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

That makes sense. I knew I wouldn't get out that easy..
I dred removing the dash to find a location for the new xovers. I do think this addition would be worth it fo me.

ERacer what did you not like about the rest of the components in your factory setup. were you looking for more power, louder/ clearer sound?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rescue Bean
ERacer what did you not like about the rest of the components in your factory setup. were you looking for more power, louder/ clearer sound?
All of the above
I just replaced the radio/amp with a new indash navigation radio and aftermarket amps, subs and front components.....its much louder and clearer now

Quick Reply: Question about factory tweeters